POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Penelope20k
Subject: Re: What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)?
Date: 9 Feb 2007 04:00:27
Message: <45cc382b@news.povray.org>
well i purpose the golden ratio

1 / phi = 1 / (( 1 + sqrt(5)) / 2 )   = 1 / 1.618

example:  640 x 395 - 800 x 494 - 1024 x 632 - 1280 x 791

> I'd been wanting to ask this survey-y question a while back but forgot
about
> it and then was reminded by the thread titled "Wide-screen orthographic
> camera?"
> Charles
>
> Question:
> What's your favorite aspect ratio in general and/or for what specific
> purpose?  4/3 has of course been the defacto standard for a long long time
> but seems to be getting used less and less. Televisions are going one way
> and computers are going with something else.  If you want to make an image
> or video that might be displayed on different media or different devices,
> what do you choose?  Here are a few common landscape ratios, but don't
> forget their portrait equilvalents...
>

> 1/1           1:1 square
> 5/4        1.25:1 e.g. most 17" non-wide-screen monitors @1280x1024, 8x10
> print
> 4/3       1.333:1 e.g. most displays
> 1/sqrt(2) 1.414:1 e.g. iso paper sizes, A4 etc
> 3/2         1.5:1 e.g. 4x6 print
> 16/10       1.6:1 e.g. wide-screen monitors
> 16/9      1.777:1 e.g. dvd's & widescreen tv
>            1.85:1 e.g. not-so-wide cinematography (comedies)
>            2.39:1 e.g. cinematography  (blockbusters)
>
> Any others? Golden ratio (very close to widescreen monitors)?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Feb 2007 07:31:58
Message: <45cc69be$1@news.povray.org>
It highly depends on the type of scene, but I favour 1/1, 4/3, and 16/9
(both in landscape and portrait mode). In a few cases, I tend towards
extremely flat (or narrow) ratios. I never consider their usage for screen
monitors or any standardization. The ratio is always a purely subjective
choice. Until now, I didn't consider the golden ratio, but I might.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I'd been wanting to ask this survey-y question a while back but forgot about
> it and then was reminded by the thread titled "Wide-screen orthographic
> camera?"

4/3 for most renders, 1/1 for textures and fractals. Although, I think I
will now experiment with other ratios (8/3, 12/3) for landscapes. A
little bit of light-bleed coming up from the image into the black space
would look really good, I think.

~Sam

Post a reply to this message