POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? : Re: What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)?
From: Charles C
Date: 16 Feb 2007 16:00:00
Message: <web.45d61a3c95b0fc9d7d5894630@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> It highly depends on the type of scene, but I favour 1/1, 4/3, and 16/9
> (both in landscape and portrait mode). In a few cases, I tend towards
> extremely flat (or narrow) ratios. I never consider their usage for screen
> monitors or any standardization. The ratio is always a purely subjective
> choice. Until now, I didn't consider the golden ratio, but I might.
>
> Thomas

I agree with the sentiment of basing it on what's good for the scene rather
than the display media, but there's an obvious advantage to matching some
common standard when doing generall purpose stuff.  It seems like we're
loosing 4/3 to the populartity of 16/9 and 16/10, both called wide-screen
but neither are nearly as wide as (either) true cinema format.  Maybe I'm a
sentimental fool mourning a possible slow downfall of good old 4/3 for
general-purpose use.   On the other hand, 4/3 is still what people are
posting on here....