POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? : Re: What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 15 Feb 2007 20:40:54
Message: <45d50ba6$1@news.povray.org>
Bryan Heit wrote:
> Most of my povray work is for DVD's I put togeather, so I work in the
> "standard" TV ratios - 4:3, and 16:9.  I prefer the 16:9 - it looks more
> natural to my eye.
>

> I also render the occasional wallpaper for my laptop: 1920x1200, which
> is an aspect of 16:10.  Often I just render my 16:9 images at 1920x1200
> - its hard to tell the difference in aspect ratio, and I don't have to
> "reset" the camera to get the FOV I want.

And it's not hard to adjust your scene code to match the camera to the
screen size:

camera {
   direction vForward*sZoomValue
   right vRight*image_width/image_height
   up vUp
   location pCameraLocation
}

Now the only problem with a change to the aspect ration is the problem
of making sure that the scenery covers the edges of the image when I
change the aspect ration.

Regards,
John