POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  contemporary photorealism (Message 25 to 34 of 44)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: contemporary photorealism
Date: 20 Dec 2004 12:32:45
Message: <41c70cbd$1@news.povray.org>

news:cq6m0l$65g$1@chho.imagico.de...

> It is not a good idea to start demanding a new feature just because it
> is not obvious to you how to accomplish a certain effect with existing
> means.

You can do it with texture_map, but it's not very practical if you want to
have separate maps for more than 2 different channels. To create a finish
pattern independent from the pigment pattern we have currently:
texture{
    Pattern_Finish
    texture_map{
        [0 pigment{Pattern_Pigment} finish{Finish_1}]
        [1 pigment{Pattern_Pigment} finish{Finish_2}]
    }
}

But if you want to have diffuse values following a pattern different from
the reflection pattern, it's necessary to nest texture maps, which can turn
into a headache:
texture{
    Pattern_Reflection
    texture_map{
        [0
            Pattern_Diffuse
            texture_map{
                [0 pigment{Pigment_Pigment} finish{Finish_1}]
                [1 pigment{Pattern_Pigment} finish{Finish_2}]
            }
        ]
        [1
            Pattern_Diffuse
            texture_map{
                [0 pigment{Pattern_Pigment} finish{Finish_3}]
                [1 pigment{Pattern_Pigment} finish{Finish_4}]
            }
        ]
    }
}
Where Finish_1 etc. correspond to the different combinations of diffuse and
reflection, for instance
diffuse 0.5 reflection{0,0.5}
diffuse 0.5 reflection 0
diffuse 1 reflection{0,0.5}
diffuse 1 reflection 0

If patterns could be applied independently to all channels, this would look
like this:
texture{
    pigment{Pattern_Pigment + pigment parameters}
    diffuse{Pattern_Diffuse + diffuse parameters}
    reflection{Pattern_Reflection + reflection parameters}
}

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com