POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism : Re: contemporary photorealism Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contemporary photorealism
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Dec 2004 20:01:39
Message: <41c775f3@news.povray.org>

cq7666$97l$1@chho.imagico.de...

> So you suggest to give up the idea of a finish structure and have all
> surface properties as top level items in the texture.  I am not saying
> this could not be a useful concept but it is fairly out of question that
> this could happen any time soon (the changes required for that would be
> larger than any change in POV-Ray since version 3.1 at least).

Such a drastic change cannot be done for POV-Ray 3.x but it could be
considered for a future version. Usually, after 1 level of texture_map
nesting, my brain starts melting down when defining textures in POV-Ray,
while I don't have this problem when using separate channels in other
softwares ;-)
Really, having all surface properties independent and controllable by a
combination of a pattern + specific modifiers is extremely efficient when
creating textures and gives a lot of flexibility.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com