POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism : Re: contemporary photorealism Server Time
8 Sep 2024 19:03:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contemporary photorealism
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Dec 2004 03:55:02
Message: <cq8o8j$24q$2@chho.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Such a drastic change cannot be done for POV-Ray 3.x but it could be
> considered for a future version. Usually, after 1 level of texture_map
> nesting, my brain starts melting down when defining textures in POV-Ray,
> while I don't have this problem when using separate channels in other
> softwares ;-)

It would be possible to simplify this with a macro.

> Really, having all surface properties independent and controllable by a
> combination of a pattern + specific modifiers is extremely efficient when
> creating textures and gives a lot of flexibility.

I would like to repeat that when using the same pattern for several
properties (which will very often be the case) this will result in
unnecessary pattern evaluations.  You could try to introduce a kind of
pattern cache for this but this would be quite complicated.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______