POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism : Re: contemporary photorealism Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contemporary photorealism
From: Loki
Date: 21 Dec 2004 07:05:00
Message: <web.41c8112fe72f5907a6471ba00@news.povray.org>
Seems to me that image mapping different channels is inherently more
sensible and better controlled than nesting a whole lot of material maps
and so on, particuarly when using UV mapping for objects created in other
modelers and imported as meshes with UV information.  I am fully aware of
how you 'could' do this effect already in POV but it would be considerably
simpler if POV were able to cope with multiple image channels, and I don't
believe it would make a difference to rendering times since other renderers
do use this technique and are not slower (in fact they can be much faster)
than POVRay.  So perhaps I should apologise to the angry masses for not
being as linguistically sensitive as I might have been.  You know one
really shouldn't get so touchy over software one didn't pay for.

-