POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: David Bucciarelli
Subject: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters)
Date: 13 May 2004 10:24:15
Message: <40a3850f$1@news.povray.org>
I have written a tool for POVRay rendering on clusters. The name of the
tool is JCGrid. Thanks to JCGrid, you can use as many
Workstations/PCs/Macs as you like for the rendering of a single POVRay
image.

It doesn't require a any patch for POVRay and it works running POVRay
like an external command. Any file required for the rendering is
transferred between the nodes of the grid by JCGrid. Once you have setup
a JCGrid, it can be used by many user even at the same time. You can
look at a POVRay JCGrid like a rendering service. Check the demos page
for some interesting performance comparison.

The homepage is at http://jcgrid.sourceforge.net/
You can download sources and binaries from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=109146

Just to give you a raw idea of the kind of performance results you
obtain by using JCGrid:

Rendering time (Plants.pov available at http://www.f-lohmueller.de/
image 1280x1024 AA enabled)

POVRay
1xAthlon XP 1800+ (BogoMIPS=3014)
Total rendering time = 01:58:29 (184pixel/sec) (1.0 speed-up)
Total Grid BogoMIPS = 3014 (1.0 speed-up)
Total Grid Index = 1.00 speed-up

Grid 1 with JCGrid(128 fragment size)
[1xAthlon XP 1800+ (BogoMIPS=3014)] => Server+Client+1xWorker
Total rendering time = 01:26:07 (253pixel/sec)
Total Grid BogoMIPS = 3014 (1.0 speed-up)
Total Grid Index = 0.89 speed-up

Grid 2 with JCGrid(128 fragment size)
[1xAthlon XP 1800+(BogoMIPS=3014)] => Server+Client+1xWorker
[2xAthlon MP 2800+(BogoMIPS=2x4246)] => 2xWorker
Total rendering time = 00:17:40 (1235pixel/sec)
Total Grid BogoMIPS = 11506 (3.81 speed-up)
Total Grid Index = 4.34 speed-up

Grid 3 with JCGrid(128 fragment size)
[1xAthlon XP 1800+(BogoMIPS=3014)] => Server+Client+1xWorker
[2xAthlon MP 2800+(BogoMIPS=2x4246)] => 2xWorker
[2xAthlon MP 2800+ (BogoMIPS=2x4246)] => 2xWorker
Total rendering time = 00:10:20 (2110pixel/sec)
Total Grid BogoMIPS = 19998 (6.63 speed-up)
Total Grid Index = 7.42 speed-up

Grid 3b with JCGrid(64 fragment size)
[1xAthlon XP 1800+(BogoMIPS=3014)] => Server+Client+1xWorker
[2xAthlon MP 2800+(BogoMIPS=2x4246)] => 2xWorker
[2xAthlon MP 2800+ (BogoMIPS=2x4246)] => 2xWorker
Total rendering time = 00:11:13 (1946pixel/sec)
Total Grid BogoMIPS = 19998 (6.63 speed-up)
Total Grid Index = 6.85 speed-up

NOTE: JCGrid is in a very early stage of the development so be patience
if the documentation is incomplete or if the tool is untested (any help
is wellcome).

David Bucciarelli
Pisa
Italy

Post a reply to this message

> I have written a tool for POVRay rendering on clusters. The name of the
> tool is JCGrid. Thanks to JCGrid, you can use as many
> Workstations/PCs/Macs as you like for the rendering of a single POVRay
> image.
>
> It doesn't require a any patch for POVRay and it works running POVRay
> like an external command. Any file required for the rendering is
> transferred between the nodes of the grid by JCGrid.
> [...]

Very well but you miss the most important information: *how* are the
files transferred between the nodes?

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>> I have written a tool for POVRay rendering on clusters. The name of
>> the tool is JCGrid. Thanks to JCGrid, you can use as many
>> Workstations/PCs/Macs as you like for the rendering of a single POVRay
>> image.
>>
>> It doesn't require a any patch for POVRay and it works running POVRay
>> like an external command. Any file required for the rendering is
>> transferred between the nodes of the grid by JCGrid.
>> [...]
>

> Very well but you miss the most important information: *how* are the
> files transferred between the nodes?

A working directory and a session name is defined each time you run a
JCGrid client. The client sends the list of files/subdirectories in the
working directory with MD5 checksum and size to the server.

The server checks the cache and if the file/subdirectory doesn't exists
or if the MD5 checksum doesn't match, it requires to the client to send
the entire file.

There is exactly the same kind of interaction between the server and all
the workers. The client and all the workers are connected to the server
by using sockets.

Only required files will be transfered and only modified files will be
transferred between different runs with the same session name.

It works very well with POVRay: you can put all the files of a scene in
a directory, use that directory like the JCGrid client working directory
and run the rendering. You can modify some file and rerun the rendering
(and only modified files will be transferred).

I hope this has answered to your question.

David Bucciarelli
Pisa
Italy

Post a reply to this message