POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) : Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters)
From: David Bucciarelli
Date: 14 May 2004 05:34:38
Message: <40a492ae$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> David Bucciarelli wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I hope this has answered to your question.
>>

> No, i was not asking for the caching mechanism, i was interested in
> information about the method of *transport* of data between the nodes. I
> assume some kind of network protocol.  Are there
> authentification/encryption techniques used (would be important for use
> via internet)?

The client and all the workers are connected to the server by using
TCP/IP sockets. The default port 10101 is used by the server to receive
client connections and default port 10102 is used to receive worker
connections. You can use command line options in order to change default
ports. The clients and workers can be beyond a NAT. If the server is
beyond a NAT, you have to map used ports to the server.

The JCGrid communication protocol between client/server/worker uses Java
Object Serialization in order to exchange messages. Exchanged data can
be compressed (GZIP) by using a command line option in order to save
bandwidth. SSL encryption can be enabled by using a command line option
too. The access to the server can be restricted by using a password.

You can setup public grid over Internet with anonymous access. People
can donate their CPU time and use other user's CPU like in P2P network.

NOTE: JCGrid is still in a very early stage of the development and
setting up a public anonymous Grid is too dangerous. Enabling encryption
is untested too and require some more complex setup (creating the Java
keystore, etc.).

Any other question ?

David Bucciarelli
Pisa