POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) : Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters)
From: David Bucciarelli
Date: 1 Jun 2004 10:24:39
Message: <40bc91a7@news.povray.org>
stephen parkinson wrote:
> David Bucciarelli wrote:
>> Version 0.03 is now available.
>>
> i seem to have a couple of minor problems,
>
> first was a classpath error, but did a re-install of j2sdk1.4.2, seems
> to have gone now (rtfm next time) - works now on dual p3-1ghz, now to
> fix the xeon :-)
> xeon now ok
>
> second is
> edited the .sh scripts for server/worker/client and fired them off
>
> box sizes in gui are rather squished, in particularly the host and
> session name boxes

This could be related to your system default font (larger than mine I
guess). Anyway the default window size should be larger and it will be
larger in next release. BTW, you can resize the window.

> using the gui to select an ini file, browse to /usr/share/povray-3.5/ini
> and select allscene.ini, gives "-3.5/ini/allstill.ini" on clicking ok
>
> should give "/usr/share/povray-3.5/ini/allscene.ini"

This one looks like a bug, I will check.

> another silly suggestion, check if JAVA_HOME is none null before
> configuring as /opt.... ?
>
> looking better
>
> in the scripts i see the server option as
>  -server org.homedns.dade.jcgrid.cmd.povray.JCGridServer
>
> is there an explanation of what this does?

"-server" is an option of the java virtual machine. It should give some
performace advantage for server-like applications. It is an
optimization, it is not strictly required.

"org.hmedns.dade.jcgrid.cmd.povray.JCGridServer" is the name of the
class (a file with Java code) to run (if you unzip the jcgrid.jar
archive, you will find a file named
org/homedns/dade/jcgrid/cmd/povray/JCGridServer.class")

The two keywords are not related.

> should it be something different on home network of
> [amd32|xeon|dual|zmemw16].lan.uk hosts

No, it is just the name of a file (it is the java way to name packages).
It is not related to the workstation where you run the software.

> ok i have three machines for doing this, povray available on all
>
> xeon.lan.uk - best box
> amd32.lan.uk
> zmemw16.lan.uk
>
> server on xeon or all?
> client or clients on each ?
> workers on all?

I suggest you:

- One Server on Xeon;
- Workers on all (don't forget to set JCGRID_WOKER_CPU=4 on dual xeon
and JCGRID_WOKER_CPU=2 on dual PentiumIII);
- Clients on any host where you want to use JCGrid/POVRay for rendering.

Run a client and the rendering will be splitted among the 7 workers
available on your grid.

Let me know if it is still unclear.

David Bucciarelli
Pisa - Italy