POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) : Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters)
From: stephen parkinson
Date: 1 Jun 2004 03:38:15
Message: <40bc3267@news.povray.org>
David Bucciarelli wrote:

>> I have written a tool for POVRay rendering on clusters. The name of
>> the tool is JCGrid. Thanks to JCGrid, you can use as many
>> Workstations/PCs/Macs as you like for the rendering of a single POVRay
>> image.
>
> < [...]
>
>> The homepage is at http://jcgrid.sourceforge.net/
>> You can download sources and binaries from:
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=109146
>

> Version 0.03 is now available.

i seem to have a couple of minor problems,

first was a classpath error, but did a re-install of j2sdk1.4.2, seems
to have gone now (rtfm next time) - works now on dual p3-1ghz, now to
fix the xeon :-)
xeon now ok

second is
edited the .sh scripts for server/worker/client and fired them off

box sizes in gui are rather squished, in particularly the host and
session name boxes

using the gui to select an ini file, browse to /usr/share/povray-3.5/ini
and select allscene.ini, gives "-3.5/ini/allstill.ini" on clicking ok

should give "/usr/share/povray-3.5/ini/allscene.ini"

another silly suggestion, check if JAVA_HOME is none null before
configuring as /opt.... ?

looking better

in the scripts i see the server option as
  -server org.homedns.dade.jcgrid.cmd.povray.JCGridServer

is there an explanation of what this does?
should it be something different on home network of
[amd32|xeon|dual|zmemw16].lan.uk hosts

on a network do i only run a server on one host or on all? i suspect one
is the answer

a thought occurs that this is the -server field, so if i run
jcgrid-server on xeon.lan.uk -  if i then run server on other hosts, do
i need
something along lines of
-server xeon.lan.uk or export JCGRID_SERVER_NAME=xeon.lan.uk

where does the rest of it "jcgrid.cmd.povray.JCGridServer" come from
or is it specific for your setup?

ok i have three machines for doing this, povray available on all

xeon.lan.uk - best box
amd32.lan.uk
zmemw16.lan.uk

server on xeon or all?
client or clients on each ?
workers on all?

any chance of a structure diagram for such a setup, useful for a
tutorial :-)

slightly confused set of questions i'm afraid, but i'm slightly confused
as to the topology(sp?)/structure of this

stephen