POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) : Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JCGrid (a tools for POVRay rendering on clusters)
From: David Bucciarelli
Date: 31 May 2004 11:26:44
Message: <40bb4eb4@news.povray.org>
Dennis Miller wrote:
> Hi, How well will this work for animations across, say 150 computers?

The larger grid I have ever used until today includes 8 nodes: 3xDual
Athlon SMP and 2xPC. It is something very small compared to one with 150
nodes so the true answer is: I don't know :-)

Anyway, I don't see why it shouldn't work. The performances of a so
large grid will be highly related to the amount of data (.pov files,
etc.) JCGrid needs to transfer between the server and the nodes for the
rendering.

JCGrid uses a centralized model (1 server, many workers) and this model
can not scale up infinitely. However the limit can be very high for a
time consuming task like rendering.

In a grid with 150 nodes, if the rendering of a single image fragment
requires 3 minutes, the server will have to handle something like 1 or 2
requests for seconds (a low load for a good workstation). More time
requires the rendering of the single image fragment and less load the
server has to handle.

I would really like to run a test on a 150 nodes grid.

David Bucciarelli
Pisa
Italy