POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Custom reference point for perspective camera? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Custom reference point for perspective camera? (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Custom reference point for perspective camera?
Date: 21 Oct 2004 04:11:36
Message: <Xns958967B17611Ejgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>

> We all know that perspective projection is for projecting on a flat
> surface, and that the perspective reference point is at the center.
> But what if you want to make 'perfect' cross-eyed stereo renderings,
> like me?
>
> First, you need some input values and math to position the camera
> correctly. The math instantly shows that the perspective reference
> point isn't at the center, not even inside the image. So how are you
> going to do that in POV-Ray?

> I'd suggest a customizable reference point offset in 2D from the
> center, and in 3D like the focal point (NOT doing pointless FOV
> correction). For now, does anyone know a more straightforward way?

Are you trying to emulate things like 6x9 photo (with bascule (seesaw ?)
and vertical/horizontal movement of the lens ?).

Or am I totally misleaded ?

Wasn't there a patch for a user-defined camera somewhere ?

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.

Post a reply to this message

> We all know that perspective projection is for projecting on a flat
> surface, and that the perspective reference point is at the center. But
> what if you want to make 'perfect' cross-eyed stereo renderings, like
> me?

I create stereoscopic rendering "all the time" using PovRay,
indeed some of the content is for this
   http://www.vroom.org.au
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/stereographics/vroom/
but also for daily visualisation. The basic approach I use
involves image trimming, it is easy to set up a processing
pipline to deal with this. See
   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/raystereo/

--
Paul Bourke