POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Custom reference point for perspective camera? : Re: Custom reference point for perspective camera? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:10:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Custom reference point for perspective camera?
From: Jonathan
Date: 22 Oct 2004 21:25:01
Message: <web.4179b13dcdaafef5d114d2650@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22J=E9r=F4me_M=2E_Berger=22?= <jbe### [at] ifrancecom> wrote:
> Jonathan wrote:
> | Let me make two things clear:
> | - I just want to move what makes a perspective camera different from a
> | spherical one.
>  AFAIK there is no difference between the two. Or rather "perspective
> camera" doesn't mean anything by itself: it is either "spherical
> perspective camera", or "cylindrical perspective camera" but when
> people say just "perspective" they usually mean "spherical
> perspective"...

I assume people who answer here know a perspective camera is
a perspective camera (but apparently some don't). Remember
that the keywords in pov are perspective and spherical (!).

> | - I fully understand 3D and stereo because I figured it out myself,
> | instead of looking at how others think it works. I mean it.
>  Then maybe you should explain to us how *you* think it works, so we
> can understand your problem (In fact, actually putting it in simple
> words so that us morons can understand might help you figure out the
> answer to your question).

Hopefully this will make it clear:
<http://home.filternet.nl/~eo000199/jonathan/povray/stereo.png>

The cylinders are perpendicular to both the 'real' and 'virtual' planes,
and end up at the 'reference point'. The rest is self-explanatory.

Note that this is almost 'perfect'. I was only too lazy to calculate
some minor rotations which would push it to the hard limit.

Jonathan