POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64-bit compile bug Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  64-bit compile bug (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Andrew Schultz
Subject: Re: 64-bit compile bug
Date: 16 Aug 2002 14:50:52
Message: <3d5d498c$1@news.povray.org>

> Any specific reason the change couldn't be done with a couple of
> search & replaces pr source file ?? Back around POV-Ray 1.0 I actually

that would be easy.
sed scripts for "long"=>"int32", "unsigned long" => "u_int32".

the problem is that there are going to be places where a true long is needed.
Also, after the switch, someone that knows what they're doing would need to test
everything to make sure it still works.  It could introduce subtle (perhaps
platform-specific) problems.

  Andrew Schultz                    | The views expressed might
  ajs### [at] eosncsuedu             | not represent those of NCSU.
  http://www4.ncsu.edu/~ajschult/   | They are however, correct.

Date: 17 Aug 2002 05:56:42
Message: <3d5e1ce2.570967888@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:50:53 -0400, Andrew Schultz
<ajs### [at] eosncsuedu> wrote:
>that would be easy.
>sed scripts for "long"=>"int32", "unsigned long" => "u_int32".
>
>the problem is that there are going to be places where a true long is needed.
>Also, after the switch, someone that knows what they're doing would need to test
>everything to make sure it still works.  It could introduce subtle (perhaps
>platform-specific) problems.

And thus a quick search & replace won't work. It'll require fairly
extensive knowledge of the POV-Ray internals, an area where I'm
definitely not up-to-date (haven't delved deeply into the source since
1.0 and much has changed since).

/Erkki

Post a reply to this message