POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so (Message 1 to 10 of 103)
From: verjigorm
Subject: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
Date: 10 Feb 2005 10:25:01
Message: <web.420b7c34c551b3d17485eb850@news.povray.org>
I'd like to call Library-Functions from SDL. Is there already an extension
to POV-Ray that enables declaration of external user-defined functions?

I think of something like the JNI, only more simple. At least support for
double-type parameters and -arrays (for return-parameters) would be useful.

Regards, Arne

ps.: no, i dont want to generate pov-scene files and i dont want to create
data files and read them with sdl

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to call Library-Functions from SDL. Is there already an extension
> to POV-Ray that enables declaration of external user-defined functions?

The source code of POV-Ray is available, so just compile it.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

Yes, I already downloaded the code. Just wanted to check if any extension
already exists and if a feature like library support is going to be added
some day.
Sounds like a good idea to me, you know like in MATLAB for instance.
Thanks,
Arne

> verjigorm wrote:
> > I'd like to call Library-Functions from SDL. Is there already an extension
> > to POV-Ray that enables declaration of external user-defined functions?
>
> The source code of POV-Ray is available, so just compile it.
>
>  Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, I already downloaded the code. Just wanted to check if any extension
> already exists and if a feature like library support is going to be added
> some day.
 > Sounds like a good idea to me, you know like in MATLAB for instance.

No, it is an extremely bad idea as it is not portable and all this has been
explained several times in these groups.  It is never going to be added to
any official version of POV-Ray.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> No, it is an extremely bad idea as it is not portable and all this has
> been explained several times in these groups.  It is never going to be
> added to any official version of POV-Ray.

Not only that, but all it would take is one badly written plugin to
corrupt POV-Ray's memory and crash POVRay with the blame on the POV-Team.

Though, I suppose you could use CORBA, COM, SOAP or any other IPC
technology... <g,duck>

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!