POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so : Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
From: Tom Melly
Date: 10 Feb 2005 18:05:13
Message: <420be8a9$1@news.povray.org>
news:420b9bbd$1@news.povray.org...

> verjigorm wrote:
>  > Sounds like a good idea to me, you know like in MATLAB for instance.

Yes, it does sound like a good idea - however, for reasons Thorsten so
vigorously defended but didn't bother to explain, it probably won't happen.

> No, it is an extremely bad idea as it is not portable and all this has
been
> explained several times in these groups.  It is never going to be added to
> any official version of POV-Ray.

I've often wondered. Bearing in mind my ignorance of high-end programming,
wouldn't it be possible to run a binary with a command line switch to tell
it to take advantage of specified system-specific libaries?

Bugs would be the responsibility of the library author, unless the bug was
repeatable w/o the library being loaded.

Or would such libraries be horribly inefficient?