POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  --- (Message 1 to 10 of 81)
From: Jellby
Subject: Re: Photorealism revived
Date: 1 Jan 2005 05:18:13
Message: <41d678e4@news.povray.org>
Among other things, Paris saw fit to write:

> Pov-ray uses a shading model called PHONG in the
> literature.   It models a perfect diffuse reflector that does not really
> exist in reality.   What PHONG most closely resembles is the BRDF for
> plastic, and objects rendered with this model tend to all look like
> plastic.

No, POV-Ray *can* use Phong, but doesn't need to. You can specify "diffuse",
"brilliance", "specular", "phong", "reflection", "fresnel"... No need to
use Phong if you don't want to. Moreover, you can use micronormals to
simulate effects which, in reality, are due to micronormals as well. If you
want to simulate plastic, use Phong. If you don't like it, don't use it.

> Adding specular highlights to pov-ray's phong creates a shiney plastic
> texture.  Attempting to make it look like glass always tends to look like
> plexi-glass.  The reason is simple.  Physically-based rendering models of
> glass use a fresnel term.

Don't add specular and phong, use one of them. You want Fresnel? use fresnel
in the reflection block.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x

Post a reply to this message