POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Photorealism revived Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorealism revived
From: stm31415
Date: 1 Jan 2005 11:20:00
Message: <web.41d6ccefb331cac5dd77ec1f0@news.povray.org>
From what I can see, what you are really asking for is not the functionality
of these items, because most, if not all of these things CAN be done. You
might have to work at them. What you want is a button you can push, and
have all the work done for you. 'Look, I made a box... and now it looks
like cement! Yay!' If you want it to be easy, POV is not the thing for you.
But if you're willing to read the documentation, and look at patches, you
might have a little more luck in these conversations. F'rinstance, the
MegaPov HDR patch CAN output HDR images. If you download HDRShop from
Debevec, you can alter the exposure.
At least ask questions, rather than make statements.

'Is there a way to make brushed metal?'

would probably recieve the response,

'There are several. You can try averaging many slightly rotated
micronormals. The trick is to get circlar grooves. Take a look at a vinyl
record. This is slow, but very realistic, and gives you quite a bit of
control. (In fact, this method will even give you correctly holographic
results, as I recall).  Also, I believe there is a fairly fast brushed
metal on runevision.com, but I haven't tried it.'

Which is probably much more helpful, and it doesn't even involve people
hating you.

-S