POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Photorealism revived Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorealism revived
From: Greybeard
Date: 1 Jan 2005 14:42:20
Message: <41d6fd1c@news.povray.org>
Paris wrote:
> I've decided to start a new thread instead of adding to the very large
> thread that exploded from my last post.   The messages ended up deviating
> from the original points anyway.

WHich is ok, as your original points only point to your lack of ability
with POV-Ray.  I have seen far more works here, done with POV-Ray, than
I have seen done with your megabuck modelers, that look realistic.

Global lighting, try Poser if you want to find out what an abortion
global lighting can be.  It is so restricted as to be totally useless,
and is the reason I don't render anything in poser.  I *like* having
good control over the lighting, and being able to reproduce the effects
from a single source, rather than "the entire heavens radiate in all
directions."  If I want that effect, which I don't, I'll put everything
inside a hollow white sphere to get it, which is hardly worth the trouble.

Brushed metal, being as I make real brushed metal on occasion, I am a
toolmaker, I think I know what's realistic and what isn't, NONE of them
you can come up with are.

Final, it's very easy to criticize when you're not involved with the
programming.  If you aren't satisfied with it, use something like 3DMAX.
  Or maybe they just dont bitch because they're ashamed to admit that
they spent the kilobucks for something that still won't do what they
*think* it should.

OH, BTW, "Plonk."