POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Photorealism revived Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photorealism revived
From: Sleazy Saint
Date: 1 Jan 2005 16:45:00
Message: <web.41d718f9b331cac546d22db00@news.povray.org>
Paris, a couple of the things you showed can be done on POV-Ray as is.

> CAR PAINT------
> In contra to the person who replied to me, car paint is not "just paint".
> Car paint can sometimes contain tiny glitters in laquer that sparkle when
> an object is turned in the light.  It also has a sort of metallic sheen
> that the phong model cannot simulate that falls off to nearly black at
> shallow viewing angles.  CEBAS's FinalRender simulates all of these.   See:
>
> http://www.finalrender.com/products/images/finalShaders/fR-carpaint_01.jpg
>
> Notice the "falling off to black" at shallow angles.  It's hard to notice at
> first but when you see it it should look like a very quick turn to black at
> the edges of curves.   Pov-ray cannot simulate car paint.  But like I said
> in my original post, it would be nice to see in future versions.
Its been said by others, but Tek has made an awesome metallic paint macro.
Check P.B.S-F to find it

> FUR/SUEDE/VELVET-----
> Hair is implementable with tricks, but suede and tight, tiny fur is a
> procedural texture requiring code all to itself.   Fur will often have
> anamolous dark spots on the insides of concave surfaces, where the 'hairs'
> are more bunched togethor.  And it will look slightly brighter on convex
> parts of a surface since the 'hairs' are less dense.  In suede, this
> happens at the microfacet level, so it cannot be simulated ad-hoc with
> millions of tiny objects.   Again, CEBAS's FinalRender gives the most
> striking example I've ever seen which contains all of the attributes I
> mentioned:
>
> http://www.finalrender.com/products/images/finalShaders/fR-DistanceFur_02.jpg
>
> To reiterate, it would be nice to see such things implemented in future
> versions of POV.  But I make no demands.
You don't say why it can't be done with current POV-Ray. Megapov has a fur
feature and Rune also made a very good fur texture. I don't see why it
can't be done now.

Brushed metal has been done before. Jaime Vives Piqueres's "Still With
Bolts" is an excelent example of photorealistic brushed metal. You just
need to average randomly rotated normals.

Also, megapov has an exposure feature to it. I don't see how it can't
perform the same function you were suggesting.

>http://www.maxwellrender.com/indexeng.html
All of the pictures you showed can be done on POV. Some of them can be done
better (that "brushed metal" tire rim being a prime example). Its been said
before, POV-Ray is free and open-source. Despite it being supported by
people in their free time, its still comparable, and sometimes better, than
those slick-looking commerical products. The only software you showed that
stuck out in my mind was Maxwell, and thats not coming out for a while.

A lot of your ideas do sound interesting, such as spectral integration and
BRDF. However, it sounds like you're going to have to develop them yourself
if you want them done, or at the very least give more detail into how they
can be implemented. After all, they're your suggestions, so its not
unreasonable to want you to do a good amount of work.