POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Animated can questions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:12:24 EDT (-0400)
  Animated can questions (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Animated can questions
Date: 19 Feb 2000 19:17:20
Message: <38AF337A.637C7D91@unforgettable.com>
First, have a look at this:

http://espacesux.members.easyspace.com/anicanfinal/animation1.html
http://espacesux.members.easyspace.com/anicanfinal/animation2.html
http://espacesux.members.easyspace.com/anicanfinal/animation3.html

(The pages are essentially identical; higher numbers denote choppier animation.)

- The shading on the can flickers pretty badly. The frames were rendered
in MegaPOV-Ray with radiosity turned on and left at the default
settings; could patchy radiosity be the reason for the flickering? Would
better radiosity settings eliminate the flicker?

- To eliminate perspective distortion, the camera was backed off,
rendering was limited to a small area around the can, and the frames
were rendered at 1920 x 1440 to provide a "zoom" effect and get the can
itself back up to the size I wanted it to be. When I went back to crop
the images in Photoshop, I found that in each frame, the can seemed to
be displaced a random amount (say, up to about 10 px in each direction)
even though the only variable being altered was the amount of bending; I
had to synch them all by hand before I could create the animation.
Anyone have any idea why this might be?

I can provide the source code if it's needed.

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

"Error has no rights." - Tomas de Torquemada

Post a reply to this message

> - The shading on the can flickers pretty badly. The frames were rendered
> in MegaPOV-Ray with radiosity turned on and left at the default
> settings; could patchy radiosity be the reason for the flickering? Would
> better radiosity settings eliminate the flicker?

The radiosity might be the cause, maybe increase the number of test rays
shot...I am not very experienced with the parameters though.

> - To eliminate perspective distortion, the camera was backed off,
> rendering was limited to a small area around the can, and the frames
> were rendered at 1920 x 1440 to provide a "zoom" effect and get the can
> itself back up to the size I wanted it to be.

This seems like an awful lot of trouble...couldn't you just use an
orthographic camera or a small angle value with the perspective camera?

> When I went back to crop the images in Photoshop, I found that in
> each frame, the can seemed to be displaced a random amount (say, up
> to about 10 px in each direction) even though the only variable being
> altered was the amount of bending; I had to synch them all by hand
> before I could create the animation. Anyone have any idea why this
> might be?

It might be helpful to know how you are producing the can...torus
section? Object Bender include? Some other method?

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

> > - To eliminate perspective distortion, the camera was backed off,
> > rendering was limited to a small area around the can, and the frames
> > were rendered at 1920 x 1440 to provide a "zoom" effect and get the can
> > itself back up to the size I wanted it to be.
>
> This seems like an awful lot of trouble...couldn't you just use an
> orthographic camera or a small angle value with the perspective camera?

Hadn't occurred to me, to be honest. ^^  I don't mess with the camera
much, though I suppose I ought to.

> > When I went back to crop the images in Photoshop, I found that in
> > each frame, the can seemed to be displaced a random amount (say, up
> > to about 10 px in each direction) even though the only variable being
> > altered was the amount of bending; I had to synch them all by hand
> > before I could create the animation. Anyone have any idea why this
> > might be?
>
> It might be helpful to know how you are producing the can...torus
> section? Object Bender include? Some other method?

Object Bender. The can is made up of a cylinder and a couple of lathes
for the endcaps.