POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Animated can questions : Re: Animated can questions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated can questions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 19 Feb 2000 19:53:15
Message: <chrishuff_99-B5C8D1.19540419022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38AF337A.637C7D91@unforgettable.com>,
inq### [at] unforgettablecom wrote:

> - The shading on the can flickers pretty badly. The frames were rendered
> in MegaPOV-Ray with radiosity turned on and left at the default
> settings; could patchy radiosity be the reason for the flickering? Would
> better radiosity settings eliminate the flicker?

The radiosity might be the cause, maybe increase the number of test rays
shot...I am not very experienced with the parameters though.

> - To eliminate perspective distortion, the camera was backed off,
> rendering was limited to a small area around the can, and the frames
> were rendered at 1920 x 1440 to provide a "zoom" effect and get the can
> itself back up to the size I wanted it to be.

This seems like an awful lot of trouble...couldn't you just use an
orthographic camera or a small angle value with the perspective camera?

> When I went back to crop the images in Photoshop, I found that in
> each frame, the can seemed to be displaced a random amount (say, up
> to about 10 px in each direction) even though the only variable being
> altered was the amount of bending; I had to synch them all by hand
> before I could create the animation. Anyone have any idea why this
> might be?

It might be helpful to know how you are producing the can...torus
section? Object Bender include? Some other method?

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom