POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Improved Perlin noise Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Improved Perlin noise (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Improved Perlin noise
Date: 5 Jul 2004 23:44:28
Message: <40ea201c$1@news.povray.org>
29. June Mike Andrews posted an image to
povray.binaries.images:
"Perlin's Improved Noise comparison ... (24K)"

The same day he also posted code for his test image to
povray.binaries.scene-files:
"Perlin's Improved Noise - SDL version"

I have now had a look at his code and have made a macro
that can produce noise functions that don't have the
"defects" of earlier Perlin noise functions. (I haven't
really verified this, but the results seems ok so far.)

My macro can be found in my reply today to his post
in povray.binaries.scene-files

I haven't yet looked at the source code for the noise
generators in POV-Ray v3.5 (or v3.6), so I don't know
if any or all of them use the "old" Perlin noise.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net

Post a reply to this message

> 29. June Mike Andrews posted an image to
> povray.binaries.images:
> "Perlin's Improved Noise comparison ... (24K)"
>
> The same day he also posted code for his test image to
> povray.binaries.scene-files:
> "Perlin's Improved Noise - SDL version"
>
> I have now had a look at his code and have made a macro
> that can produce noise functions that don't have the
> "defects" of earlier Perlin noise functions. (I haven't
> really verified this, but the results seems ok so far.)

There are two critical issues about the noise generator: 1) possible
regularities.  This does not only mean regular structures in the noise
pattern like in current ng3 but also periodicity and degeneration of the
function in 'far areas'.  This all can be really tricky to test of
course.  2) performance.  This is quite impossible to conclude from an
SDL version.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> There are two critical issues about the noise generator: 1) possible
> regularities.  This does not only mean regular structures in the noise
> pattern like in current ng3 but also periodicity and degeneration of the
> function in 'far areas'. This all can be really tricky to test of
> course.

You can give the periodic interval as an argument to the
macro. This makes it easy to study the periodicity when
the interval is set small.

Do you know where the 'far areas' are and how the functions
typically degenerates ?

 > 2) performance.  This is quite impossible to conclude from an
> SDL version.

Why is that ?

The macro can produce noise functions that behave simlar
to f_noise3d()

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net

Post a reply to this message

> You can give the periodic interval as an argument to the
> macro. This makes it easy to study the periodicity when
> the interval is set small.

For most purposes the noise generator should have a periodicity as large
as possible.

> Do you know where the 'far areas' are and how the functions
> typically degenerates ?

try rendering:

camera {
   orthographic
   location <0,0,1>
   look_at  <0,0,0>
   right 1*x
   up 1*y
}

box {
   <-0.5, -0.5, 0>, <0.5, 0.5, 0>
   texture {
     pigment {
       bozo
       color_map {
         [0.0 color rgb 0.0 ]
         [1.0 color rgb 1.0 ]
       }
       scale 0.01
       translate 3e7*x
     }
     finish {
       ambient 1.0
       diffuse 0.0
     }
   }
}

>  > 2) performance.  This is quite impossible to conclude from an
>
>> SDL version.
>

> Why is that ?
>
> The macro can produce noise functions that behave simlar
> to f_noise3d()

But much slower.  The noise generator is quite critical for the render
speed in a lot of scenes.  That's why the Windows version of POV-Ray
contains a special hand optimized version of the noise function.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>> You can give the periodic interval as an argument to the
>> macro. This makes it easy to study the periodicity when
>> the interval is set small.
>

> For most purposes the noise generator should have a periodicity as large
> as possible.
>
>> Do you know where the 'far areas' are and how the functions
>> typically degenerates ?
>

> try rendering:
>
> camera {
>   orthographic
>   location <0,0,1>
>   look_at  <0,0,0>
>   right 1*x
>   up 1*y
> }
>
> box {
>   <-0.5, -0.5, 0>, <0.5, 0.5, 0>
>   texture {
>     pigment {
>       bozo
>       color_map {
>         [0.0 color rgb 0.0 ]
>         [1.0 color rgb 1.0 ]
>       }
>       scale 0.01
>       translate 3e7*x
>     }
>     finish {
>       ambient 1.0
>       diffuse 0.0
>     }
>   }
> }

I see. But this works ok:

     pigment {
       function { f_noise3d(x + 3e7, y, z) }
       color_map {
         [0.0 color rgb 0.0 ]
         [1.0 color rgb 1.0 ]
       }
       scale 0.01
     }

>>  > 2) performance.  This is quite impossible to conclude from an
>>
>>> SDL version.
>>

>> Why is that ?
>>
>> The macro can produce noise functions that behave simlar
>> to f_noise3d()
>

> But much slower.  The noise generator is quite critical for the render
> speed in a lot of scenes.  That's why the Windows version of POV-Ray
> contains a special hand optimized version of the noise function.

Nice to know.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net

Post a reply to this message

> I have now had a look at his code and have made a macro
> that can produce noise functions that don't have the
> "defects" of earlier Perlin noise functions. (I haven't
> really verified this, but the results seems ok so far.)

- But now the results doesn't seem ok any longer.

When I render this scene, I can see vertical and
horizontal "lines" in the noise.

#declare NoiseFn = PerlinNoise3DFunction(478696, 300, 0, 1)

box {
   <-0.5, -0.5, 0>, <0.5, 0.5, 0>
   texture {
     pigment {
       function { NoiseFn(x, y, z) }
       color_map {
         [0.0 color rgb 0.0 ]
         [1.0 color rgb 1.0 ]
       }
       scale 0.01
     }
     finish {
       ambient 1.0
       diffuse 0.0
     }
   }
}

camera {
   orthographic
   location <0,0,1>
   look_at  <0,0,0>
   right 1*x
   up 1*y
}

If make the macro not use the POV-Ray's rand() function,
the noise improves a bit.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net