POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Improved Perlin noise : Re: Improved Perlin noise Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved Perlin noise
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Jul 2004 04:00:02
Message: <ccdltk$1rp$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> 29. June Mike Andrews posted an image to
> povray.binaries.images:
> "Perlin's Improved Noise comparison ... (24K)"
>
> The same day he also posted code for his test image to
> povray.binaries.scene-files:
> "Perlin's Improved Noise - SDL version"
>
> I have now had a look at his code and have made a macro
> that can produce noise functions that don't have the
> "defects" of earlier Perlin noise functions. (I haven't
> really verified this, but the results seems ok so far.)

There are two critical issues about the noise generator: 1) possible
regularities.  This does not only mean regular structures in the noise
pattern like in current ng3 but also periodicity and degeneration of the
function in 'far areas'.  This all can be really tricky to test of
course.  2) performance.  This is quite impossible to conclude from an
SDL version.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______