POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  New POV-Ray webpage (Message 61 to 70 of 147)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: New POV-Ray webpage
Date: 12 Jul 2002 16:15:03
Message: <3d2f38c7@news.povray.org>
In article <3d2f27d6$1@news.povray.org> , "Fox Neilson"
<ine### [at] myrealboxcom> wrote:

>  The actual percentage of people who send clear text passwords
> on a regular basis is very low.

So for example neither Google Groups nor Slashdot haven't any users, right?

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Jerry
Date: 12 Jul 2002 18:15:48
Message: <jerry-CBBDC3.15154812072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d2f27d6$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Fox Neilson" <ine### [at] myrealboxcom> wrote:
>That is about the dumbest statement I've heard all day.  First of all most
>corparations use IMAP and not POP.  Secondly POP has MANY extensions for

Not everyone is in a corporation.

>secure passwords, and many clients/servers implement them so the average
>person will not have a clear text password, and thirdly POP can be used with
>SSL or TLS.  The actual percentage of people who send clear text passwords
>on a regular basis is very low.

Where is the data on which you make this conclusion? I can tell you that
the percentage of people at our university who send clear text
passwords, the percentage of people on my Internet access company who
send clear text passwords, and the percentage of people on my site
hosting provider who send clear text passwords, is very high. The first
and last do not provide an option for non-geeks to not send clear text
passwords to access their e-mail. The middle one definitely still uses
insecure POP in their user instructions. If they provide secure e-mail
password checking, I don't know about (but I haven't looked hard, since
I don't use them for e-mail).

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've

Post a reply to this message