POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Big whopping sparks Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Big whopping sparks (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: Dave VanHorn
Subject: Re: Big whopping sparks
Date: 17 May 2004 19:12:40
Message: <40a946e8$1@news.povray.org>
> It's the cylinder with its media interior that is the spark (but you've
> allready figured that out, I guess), change its length and/or scale it
> to make it fit your scene then translate/rotate it in place.

I'm having limited success.  I've got some control over it, but not having
any luck at scaling it out to the big spark, 22 inches long (22 pov units,
or 220 pov units, or... )  Everything I do is scaled in inches, mm, or some
other real unit, so that measured parts actually fit in the scene.

> > BTW: Does this sort of spark, act as a light source?
>
> The spark in my code does not light up the scene by it self unless you
> use radiosity (I have not tested that with this scene). I included one
> area light to approximate the light from the spark.

I have radiosity turned on, but how do I make the sparks act as light
sources?

Post a reply to this message

Dave VanHorn nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/17 19:12... :

>>It's the cylinder with its media interior that is the spark (but you've
>>allready figured that out, I guess), change its length and/or scale it
>>to make it fit your scene then translate/rotate it in place.
>>

>I'm having limited success.  I've got some control over it, but not having
>any luck at scaling it out to the big spark, 22 inches long (22 pov units,
>or 220 pov units, or... )  Everything I do is scaled in inches, mm, or some
>other real unit, so that measured parts actually fit in the scene.
>

>>>BTW: Does this sort of spark, act as a light source?
>>>

>>The spark in my code does not light up the scene by it self unless you
>>use radiosity (I have not tested that with this scene). I included one
>>area light to approximate the light from the spark.
>>

>I have radiosity turned on, but how do I make the sparks act as light
>sources?

When radiosity is on, then any media with any emission is a light
source. You may try uping the emission value (>1), or using colour
values greater than 1.

Your big spark looks like the media is perpendicular to it's containing
cylinder.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 17 May 2004 21:57:50
Message: <40a96d9e@news.povray.org>
> When radiosity is on, then any media with any emission is a light
> source. You may try uping the emission value (>1), or using colour
> values greater than 1.

I've got them cranked to about 1600 peak now, which is pretty high..

> Your big spark looks like the media is perpendicular to it's containing
> cylinder.

Hmm. That might explain things.
Let me fiddle a bit more.

I wouldn't say I'm new to povray, I've been using it, and Vivid before it,
for design work since '91, but I don't work with it that often, and I don't
do this sort of thing with it much at all.

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 17 May 2004 22:36:53
Message: <40a976c5$1@news.povray.org>
I may have something twisted.
There's a rotate Z*90 down there that I don't understand, but it seems much
the same either way.
In my "universe", things are scaled as <(5 * Inch), (3 * Foot), (2.5 *
Meter)> which makes it easy to keep dimensions sane when moving pieces
between projects.
I haven't tired (much) to convert this spark to my system yet.

//The tight core, purple-white
#declare Discharge_Spark = object { cylinder { <-1,0,-11>, <1,0,11>, 1}
                                      hollow
                                      pigment { Clear }
                                      interior { media { method 3
// 3
                                                         aa_level 4
// 4
                                                         aa_threshold 0.1
// 0.1
                                                         samples 16, 100
// Min 1, Max 1
                                                         intervals 10
// 10
                                                         ratio 0.9
// 0.9
                                                         confidence 0.9
// 0.9
                                                         variance 1/128
// 1/128
                                                         jitter 0
                                                         emission 1
                                                         density {
cylindrical
                                                                   //rotate
z*90
                                                                   color_map
{ [ 0.00 Black ]

[ 0.40 rgb <0.1, 0.4, 1.0> *  2 ]

[ 0.80 rgb <0.1, 0.4, 1.0> *  20 ]

[ 0.90 rgb <0.1, 0.4, 1.0> *  40 ]

[ 1.00 rgb <0.1, 0.4, 1.0> * 600 ]

 }
                                                                   warp {
turbulence 0.50     // amount of turbulence

octaves 3          // optional turbulence modifiers

lambda 0.1

omega 0.5
                                                                        }
                                                                  }
                                                        }
                                                }
                                                  scale<(1 * Inch),(1 *
Inch),(1 * Inch)>
                                                  }

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 May 2004 17:34:26
Message: <cjameshuff-34E370.16344519052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40a959a9@news.povray.org>, Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote:

> When radiosity is on, then any media with any emission is a light
> source. You may try uping the emission value (>1), or using colour
> values greater than 1.

Not quite...media interaction defaults to off. You need to specify
"media on" in your radiosity settings.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 19 May 2004 21:15:36
Message: <40ac06b8$1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> In article <40a959a9@news.povray.org>, Alain <aze### [at] qwertygov> wrote:
>
> > When radiosity is on, then any media with any emission is a light
> > source. You may try uping the emission value (>1), or using colour
> > values greater than 1.
>
> Not quite...media interaction defaults to off. You need to specify
> "media on" in your radiosity settings.

I'm confused.
Reading on media, everything seems to be about fog-like behaviour, and not
about emitting light.

I need Big Whopping Sparks that emit light.

See the latest in the images group, under "Big Whopping Sparks".

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 May 2004 00:53:27
Message: <cjameshuff-192642.23534319052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40ac06b8$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Dave VanHorn" <dva### [at] cedarnet> wrote:

> I'm confused.
> Reading on media, everything seems to be about fog-like behaviour, and not
> about emitting light.
>
> I need Big Whopping Sparks that emit light.
>
> See the latest in the images group, under "Big Whopping Sparks".

Emitting media glows, rather than absorbing or scattering light. If
radiosity is on and "media on" is used, it will take media into account
when computing radiosity lighting, and emitting media (or brightly lit
scattering media) will cast a glow on nearby surfaces. (Media doesn't
take radiosity into account, though...a bright surface won't illuminate
nearby scattering media. That would be very slow, though it may be
possible to make it reasonably fast with something like photon mapping.)

From: Dave VanHorn
Date: 20 May 2004 01:10:52
Message: <40ac3ddc$1@news.povray.org>
> Emitting media glows, rather than absorbing or scattering light. If
> radiosity is on and "media on" is used, it will take media into account
> when computing radiosity lighting, and emitting media (or brightly lit
> scattering media) will cast a glow on nearby surfaces.

I am, but I'm not seeing the result.
These sorts of sparks are <BRIGHT>, and even in outdoor full daylight, I
would expect to see them cast light on the scene.  They are also <<LOUD>>
but there's no good way to convey that in pov ray.  The charachter of the
sound is quite unique.

> (Media doesn't
> take radiosity into account, though...a bright surface won't illuminate
> nearby scattering media. That would be very slow, though it may be
> possible to make it reasonably fast with something like photon mapping.)

How can I get this to cast a noticeable light on the scene?

Here's my "fast" radiosity settings:
                  radiosity { pretrace_start 0.50
                              pretrace_end   0.005
                              count 50
                              error_bound 0.5
                              recursion_limit 1
                              media on
                              normal off
                            }
                  photons { spacing 1 }
                  max_trace_level 10

So here's my spark:

//The tight core, purple-white
#declare Discharge_Spark = object { cylinder { <-1,0,-10>, <1,0,10>, 4}
                                      hollow
                                      pigment { Clear }
                                      interior { media { method 3
// 3
                                                         aa_level 4
// 4
                                                         aa_threshold 0.1
// 0.1
                                                         samples 16, 100
// Min 1, Max 1
                                                         intervals 1
// 10
                                                         ratio 0.9
// 0.9
                                                         confidence 0.9
// 0.9
                                                         variance 1/128
// 1/128
                                                         jitter 0
                                                         emission <10,10,12>
//High values obscure the core
                                                         density {
cylindrical
                                                                   rotate
x*90
                                                                   color_map
{ [ 0.00 Black ]

[ 0.40 rgb <0.15, 0.4, 1.0> *  0.02 ]

[ 0.85 rgb <0.15, 0.4, 1.0> *  .1 ]

[ 0.95 rgb <0.05, 1.0, 0.05> *  5 ] //Accent

[ 0.96 rgb <0.15, 0.4, 1.0> *  .2 ]

[ 0.99 rgb <0.15, 0.4, 1.0> * 60 ]

 }
                                                                   warp {
turbulence <0.1, 1, 0.1>     // amount of turbulence

octaves 8 // 10- too much         // optional turbulence modifiers

lambda 5 // 10 is "grainy"

omega 0.2 //0.1 sinuous 0.9 chaotic
                                                                        }
                                                                  }
                                                        }
                                                }
                                                  scale<(1 * Inch),(1 *
Inch),(1 * Inch)>
                                                  }

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 May 2004 14:18:34
Message: <cjameshuff-A8CA65.13185923052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40ac3ddc$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Dave VanHorn" <dva### [at] cedarnet> wrote:

> I am, but I'm not seeing the result.
> These sorts of sparks are <BRIGHT>, and even in outdoor full daylight, I
> would expect to see them cast light on the scene.  They are also <<LOUD>>
> but there's no good way to convey that in pov ray.  The charachter of the
> sound is quite unique.

Full daylight is bright. Unless you're very careful how you set things
up, you are likely to just get washed out colors...remember that
computer displays have a very limited range of brightness. If fully
sun-lit white is 100% brightness, what's sun-lit + spark-lit white going
to be? 100%.

Anyway, radiosity also isn't going to give you sharp shadows. It'd
really only be good for giving an area with lots of sparks an overall
glow.

> So here's my spark:

Uh...I think your indentation scheme needs a little work.
Anyway, you've done everything necessary to have the spark emit light,
now you just need surroundings suitable for showing the emitted light.
Also note that because you have no absorption to your media, it will not
show up in front of bright backgrounds...the limited dynamic range
problem again.