POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Big whopping sparks : Re: Big whopping sparks Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Big whopping sparks
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 May 2004 14:18:34
Message: <cjameshuff-A8CA65.13185923052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40ac3ddc$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Dave VanHorn" <dva### [at] cedarnet> wrote:

> I am, but I'm not seeing the result.
> These sorts of sparks are <BRIGHT>, and even in outdoor full daylight, I
> would expect to see them cast light on the scene.  They are also <<LOUD>>
> but there's no good way to convey that in pov ray.  The charachter of the
> sound is quite unique.

Full daylight is bright. Unless you're very careful how you set things
up, you are likely to just get washed out colors...remember that
computer displays have a very limited range of brightness. If fully
sun-lit white is 100% brightness, what's sun-lit + spark-lit white going
to be? 100%.

Anyway, radiosity also isn't going to give you sharp shadows. It'd
really only be good for giving an area with lots of sparks an overall
glow.

> So here's my spark:

Uh...I think your indentation scheme needs a little work.
Anyway, you've done everything necessary to have the spark emit light,
now you just need surroundings suitable for showing the emitted light.
Also note that because you have no absorption to your media, it will not
show up in front of bright backgrounds...the limited dynamic range
problem again.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/