POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mirrored texture? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Mirrored texture? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Tyler Eaves
Subject: Mirrored texture?
Date: 3 Jul 2004 19:14:36
Message: <pan.2004.07.03.23.15.47.998316@gmail.com>
How can I mirror a texture across an axis?

Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm modeling a guitar, and a common
woodworking technique used on guitars is called 'bookmatching'. This is
used on the top of the body for aestetic reasons. Basically you take a
block of wood, say, 8" wide x 15" long x 0.5" thick. Cut it down the
middle so you now have 2 8x15x0.25 peices. Now you lay the two peices side
by side with two matching edges at the middle. The result is that many of
the features of the grain are 'mirrored' across the middle of the body. I
could probably get a good result by mirroring the texture, and then
applying a small translation or rotation so they don't match EXACTLY.
Anyone have an idea as to how to go about this?

http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/513rose.html

Post a reply to this message

> How can I mirror a texture across an axis?
>
> Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm modeling a guitar, and a common
> woodworking technique used on guitars is called 'bookmatching'. This is
> used on the top of the body for aestetic reasons. Basically you take a
> block of wood, say, 8" wide x 15" long x 0.5" thick. Cut it down the
> middle so you now have 2 8x15x0.25 peices. Now you lay the two peices side
> by side with two matching edges at the middle. The result is that many of
> the features of the grain are 'mirrored' across the middle of the body. I
> could probably get a good result by mirroring the texture, and then
> applying a small translation or rotation so they don't match EXACTLY.
> Anyone have an idea as to how to go about this?

If the thingy you're modeling is made of two pieces of wood, then model
two pieces of wood:

#local iI=0; #while(iI<2)
   object { MyWoodShape
     texture { MyWoodTexture
       #if(iI) translate z*.3 #end // assumes 1 unit = 1 cm
     }
     #if(iI) scale <1,-1,1> #end
   }
#local iI=iI+1;#end

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

>How can I mirror a texture across an axis?
>
>Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm modeling a guitar, and a common
>woodworking technique used on guitars is called 'bookmatching'. This is
>used on the top of the body for aestetic reasons. Basically you take a
>block of wood, say, 8" wide x 15" long x 0.5" thick. Cut it down the
>middle so you now have 2 8x15x0.25 peices. Now you lay the two peices side
>by side with two matching edges at the middle. The result is that many of
>the features of the grain are 'mirrored' across the middle of the body. I
>could probably get a good result by mirroring the texture, and then
>applying a small translation or rotation so they don't match EXACTLY.
>Anyone have an idea as to how to go about this?
>
>http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/513rose.html

I'd do it by applying a flip repeat warp to the pigment to get the
mirror effect, then applying a turbulence warp afterwards to get the two
halves to not match exactly.

pigment { Whatever
  warp {repeat x*R warp x}
  warp {turbulence 0.2}
}

Where "R" is chosen larger than the size of the object so that you don't
actually see the repeats.

For this particular purpose, you might find that the smoothness of
"octaves 1" produces a better turbulation.

pigment { Whatever
  warp {repeat x*R warp x}
  warp {turbulence 0.2 octaves 1}
}