POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Observation: Memory Increase During Render Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Observation: Memory Increase During Render (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Observation: Memory Increase During Render
Date: 31 Jan 2016 18:37:53
Message: <56ae9ad1$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

in order to speed up my POV-Ray rendering, I keep my Windows Task
Manager (WTM) on and changed the Priority of POV-Ray to "High", but only
during the nights.

But having the WTM always open, allows me also to see the memory usage
of POV-Ray. I am observing, that I started the render with a usage of
450 MB or so. Now, after 8 days, the memory usage lays at 3.7 GB.

1
Does this point towards memory leak(s), or is this normal?

2
I have 8 GB of memory. What will happen if POV-Ray reaches a memory
consumption 0f 7 or even 8 GB?

Post a reply to this message

On 1/31/2016 6:37 PM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to speed up my POV-Ray rendering, I keep my Windows Task
> Manager (WTM) on and changed the Priority of POV-Ray to "High", but only
> during the nights.
>
> But having the WTM always open, allows me also to see the memory usage
> of POV-Ray. I am observing, that I started the render with a usage of
> 450 MB or so. Now, after 8 days, the memory usage lays at 3.7 GB.
>
> 1
> Does this point towards memory leak(s), or is this normal?
>
> 2
> I have 8 GB of memory. What will happen if POV-Ray reaches a memory
> consumption 0f 7 or even 8 GB?

This is normal. If you run out of memory your whole computer will lock up.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 1/31/2016 11:37 PM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to speed up my POV-Ray rendering, I keep my Windows Task
> Manager (WTM) on and changed the Priority of POV-Ray to "High", but only
> during the nights.
>
> But having the WTM always open, allows me also to see the memory usage
> of POV-Ray. I am observing, that I started the render with a usage of
> 450 MB or so. Now, after 8 days, the memory usage lays at 3.7 GB.
>
> 1
> Does this point towards memory leak(s), or is this normal?

What version are you using?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

Le 16-01-31 18:37, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> in order to speed up my POV-Ray rendering, I keep my Windows Task
> Manager (WTM) on and changed the Priority of POV-Ray to "High", but only
> during the nights.
>
> But having the WTM always open, allows me also to see the memory usage
> of POV-Ray. I am observing, that I started the render with a usage of
> 450 MB or so. Now, after 8 days, the memory usage lays at 3.7 GB.
>
> 1
> Does this point towards memory leak(s), or is this normal?

Normal

> 2
> I have 8 GB of memory. What will happen if POV-Ray reaches a memory
> consumption 0f 7 or even 8 GB?

You'll start on the road of paging hell as more and more of the data for
the scene get swapped back and forth between the RAM and the disk.
If you have no more space in virtual memory, welcome computer crash.

Post a reply to this message