POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D images Server Time
17 May 2024 06:03:55 EDT (-0400)
  3D images (Message 11 to 20 of 47)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 3D images
Date: 8 Jan 2016 15:35:05
Message: <web.56901c8677c0d9bd33c457550@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> There appear to be different technologies out there, but state of the art
> actually is not horizontal and vertical polarization, but left-handed and
> right-handed circular polarization -- the advantage being that you don't need to
> keep your head exactly level.

I was in Las Vegas USA many years ago, and watched a 'special venue' 3D movie
there on a large domed screen. (Some form of IMAX, probably.) I *think* the 3D
glasses I wore were shutter glasses of some sort (but I could be wrong; I don't
remember exactly.) The 3D effect was flawless-- and I was amazed that I could
turn at any angle to look at the imagery, even directly overhead. I assume the
3D glasses were circularly-polarized-- my first experience with that technology.

But when I went to see AVATAR in 3D-Imax at my local big cinema, I remember
tilting my head to see what would happen-- and instead saw two overlapped images
in each eye, with no 3D :-(  The glasses they gave out (on loan!) were simple
polarizers, nothing active. So no circular polarization there, AKAIK.

Post a reply to this message

>> There appear to be different technologies out there, but state of the art
>> actually is not horizontal and vertical polarization, but left-handed and
>> right-handed circular polarization -- the advantage being that you don't need to
>> keep your head exactly level.
>>

> I was in Las Vegas USA many years ago, and watched a 'special venue' 3D movie
> there on a large domed screen. (Some form of IMAX, probably.) I *think* the 3D
> glasses I wore were shutter glasses of some sort (but I could be wrong; I don't
> remember exactly.) The 3D effect was flawless-- and I was amazed that I could
> turn at any angle to look at the imagery, even directly overhead. I assume the
> 3D glasses were circularly-polarized-- my first experience with that technology.
>
> But when I went to see AVATAR in 3D-Imax at my local big cinema, I remember
> tilting my head to see what would happen-- and instead saw two overlapped images
> in each eye, with no 3D :-(  The glasses they gave out (on loan!) were simple
> polarizers, nothing active. So no circular polarization there, AKAIK.

I got a headache watching Avatar, but the new Star Wars was okay. Maybe
they used different technologies?

Mike

Post a reply to this message