POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D images : Re: 3D images Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D images
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jan 2016 17:44:53
Message: <56903be5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.01.2016 um 22:21 schrieb clipka:

> When I watched Avatar, they already had the very same circular
> polarization glasses with slight green/cyan tint.

Just did a bit of browsing on the 'net, to find out that I'm entirely
mistaken; so here's the deal about professional theater 3D technology:

IMAX 3D:
--------
Steer clear of these theaters. They use linear polarization, i.e. the
thing that makes you not want to tilt your head.

Needs a special silver screen.
The glasses may be compatible with some passive (i.e. non-shutter) 3D TVs

Cinema 3D:
----------
Never seen or heard of these brands before myself, but should be ok.
They use circular polarization.

Needs a special silver screen.
The glasses may be compatible with some passive (i.e. non-shutter) 3D TVs.

Real-D:
-------
Never seen or heard of these brands before myself, and not sure what to
make of these theaters. They also use circular polarization, but employ
a shutter-like apparatus in front of the single projector, which I
suspect might be more prone to giving you a headache due to flickering.

Needs a special silver screen.
The glasses may be compatible with some passive (i.e. non-shutter) 3D TVs.

XpanD 3D:
---------
Never seen or heard of this brand before myself, and not sure what to
make of these theaters. They use shutter glasses, which I suspect might
be more prone to giving you a headache due to flickering.

Does not need a special silver screen.
Does need expensive glasses, which /are/ probably compatible with active
(i.e. shutter) 3D TVs.

Dolby 3D:
---------
This is what I was referring to, and they're a perfectly good choice,
but they do /not/ use circular polarization. Instead, amazingly it /is/
a variation on the old red/cyan theme. BUT: Rather than two broad colour
channels, one for each image channel, they use /six/ narrow colour
channels, assigned to the image channels in an alternating fashion; this
significantly reduces the apparent colour shift, as each eye gets its
own R, G and B channel, albeit with slightly different primary hues. The
residual shift is noticeable as a slight red/cyan tint of the glasses,
but is completely eliminated in the projection by digital colour correction.

Doesn't need a special silver screen.
Does need expensive glasses -- which are /not/ compatible with /any/
contemporary 3D TVs.

(Not to be confused with the display technology of same name that is
currently being developed for home use, and allegedly will not need any
glasses whatsoever.)

Given this broad range of 3D theater technology in current use, I'm not
/that/ surprised anymore to hear entirely different opinions about the
3D movie experience.