POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A simple request... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:56 EDT (-0400)
  A simple request... (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Ger
Subject: A simple request...
Date: 17 Dec 2013 03:00:28
Message: <52b0049c$1@news.povray.org>
with possibly large implications.

A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.

Why?

I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored on a
network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.

ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
could turn out to be.
--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

> A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.
>
> Why?
>
> I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored on a
> network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
> I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
> continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
> In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.

Sounds like a reasonable request to me.

> ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
> could turn out to be.

A quick glance at the code indicates that someone had already thought of
this, and all the necessary stuff seems to be there already, except that
it hasn't been hooked up to a command line option or ini file setting
yet. Two lines of code should get us going.

Suggestions for how to call the thing, anyone? Internally it is called
"BackupTrace", and it complements the existing "Continue_Trace" option
("+C", internally "ContinueTrace), so a suitable ini setting name might
be "Backup_Trace" (defaulting to true); the "+B" switch is already in
use though; "-BC" ("[disable] backup for +C") or "-CB" ("[disable] +C
backup") would still be open.

Post a reply to this message

>> A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored on
>> a network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
>> I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
>> continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
>> In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable request to me.
>
>> ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
>> could turn out to be.
>
> A quick glance at the code indicates that someone had already thought of
> this, and all the necessary stuff seems to be there already, except that
> it hasn't been hooked up to a command line option or ini file setting
> yet. Two lines of code should get us going.
>
> Suggestions for how to call the thing, anyone? Internally it is called
> "BackupTrace", and it complements the existing "Continue_Trace" option
> ("+C", internally "ContinueTrace), so a suitable ini setting name might
> be "Backup_Trace" (defaulting to true); the "+B" switch is already in
> use though; "-BC" ("[disable] backup for +C") or "-CB" ("[disable] +C
> backup") would still be open.

Maybe

+PS (default) turns it on, -PS turns it off.

Just a suggestion.

--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

> +PS (default) turns it on, -PS turns it off.

ini file:
pov_state=[on/true/yes][off/false/no]

--
Ger

Post a reply to this message

>> A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored
>> on a
>> network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
>> I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
>> continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
>> In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable request to me.
>
>> ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
>> could turn out to be.
>
> A quick glance at the code indicates that someone had already thought of
> this, and all the necessary stuff seems to be there already, except that
> it hasn't been hooked up to a command line option or ini file setting
> yet. Two lines of code should get us going.
>
> Suggestions for how to call the thing, anyone? Internally it is called
> "BackupTrace", and it complements the existing "Continue_Trace" option
> ("+C", internally "ContinueTrace), so a suitable ini setting name might
> be "Backup_Trace" (defaulting to true); the "+B" switch is already in
> use though; "-BC" ("[disable] backup for +C") or "-CB" ("[disable] +C
> backup") would still be open.

The purpose of the pov-state is to allow for "+C"/continue. So what
about: "Disable_Continue" , "NoContinue" ("+NC" to have no saved data),
+SH (Sledge Hammer: "Trust me I know what I'm doing") ?

Or extending +C, such as:
 +C continue
 -C no continue
 +C0 no backup for ulterior continue
 +C1 backup for ulterior continue

I did not check about the availability of the names.
--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message