POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A simple request... : Re: A simple request... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A simple request...
From: clipka
Date: 17 Dec 2013 06:48:28
Message: <52b03a0c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.12.2013 10:57, schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> The purpose of the pov-state is to allow for "+C"/continue. So what
> about: "Disable_Continue" , "NoContinue" ("+NC" to have no saved data),
> +SH (Sledge Hammer: "Trust me I know what I'm doing") ?

Rather not; the general convention is that a feature is enabled with
"+FOO" and disabled with "-FOO", rather than enabled with "-NFOO" and
disabled with "+NFOO". Note that the feature in question here is the
ability to pick up an aborted render later with the "+C" switch - the
inverse logic can only be formulated as the suppression of that feature
to avoid the costs it imposes, so it isn't a feature in itself.

> Or extending +C, such as:
>   +C continue
>   -C no continue
>   +C0 no backup for ulterior continue
>   +C1 backup for ulterior continue

Magic numbers and mixing with the other switch? Uh, no please.

Again, note the generic convention for enabling and disabling features,
which use leading "+" and "-" to insicate whether a certain feature is
to be enabled or disabled; let's not mess this up by giving similar
semantics to trailing numbers.

Also, let's not try to force two distinct choices, to be made in two
entirely distinct situations, into one and the same command switch.

There is one choice to be made by the user whether he wants to be able
to abort the render, so that he /may/ continue it later. This choice
must be made /before/ a render is aborted.

There is another choice to be made by the user whether he wants to
continue a previously aborted render, or restart from scratch. This
choice must be made /after/ a render is aborted.

Although the features interact, the choices are clearly distinct, and
made in different situations, so there should be distinct ways of
communicating these choices to POV-Ray.