POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A simple request... : Re: A simple request... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A simple request...
From: clipka
Date: 17 Dec 2013 03:35:41
Message: <52b00cdd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.12.2013 09:00, schrieb Ger:
> with possibly large implications.
>
> A commandline (I run linux) option to disable the pov-state file.
>
> Why?
>
> I render multiple test runs for an animation and all frames get stored on a
> network, so the pov-state file gets stored on that same network.
> I understand the value of the pov-state file because it allows one to
> continue a render from whatever point in case of a mishap.
> In my case, I'll simply restart the render at 1 frame before the mishap.

Sounds like a reasonable request to me.

> ps, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how involved a change like that
> could turn out to be.

A quick glance at the code indicates that someone had already thought of
this, and all the necessary stuff seems to be there already, except that
it hasn't been hooked up to a command line option or ini file setting
yet. Two lines of code should get us going.

Suggestions for how to call the thing, anyone? Internally it is called
"BackupTrace", and it complements the existing "Continue_Trace" option
("+C", internally "ContinueTrace), so a suitable ini setting name might
be "Backup_Trace" (defaulting to true); the "+B" switch is already in
use though; "-BC" ("[disable] backup for +C") or "-CB" ("[disable] +C
backup") would still be open.