POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wood texture with additional xylem rays??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:01 EDT (-0400)
  Wood texture with additional xylem rays??? (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: hearing
Subject: Wood texture with additional xylem rays???
Date: 28 Feb 2011 13:20:01
Message: <web.4d6be58fc23a6d957cf44a70@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody,

i am looking for a specific kind of wood texture.
In general the wood textures given in "woods.inc" have a cylindrical shape with
different modifications. For my application i find a combination, which is quite
near with this short example:
-----------------------------
#include "woods.inc"

background { color rgb <1, 1, 1> }
camera { location <1.1, 1.4, -1.1> look_at <0.0, 0.0, 0.0> }
light_source { <6.0, 8.0, -8.0> color rgb <1.0, 1.0, 1.0> }

box {
  <-0.35, -0.35, -0.35>
  < 0.35,  0.35,  0.35>
    texture {
            T_Wood10
            finish { specular 0.35 roughness 0.05 ambient 0.3 }
            rotate <-0, 90, 0>
            translate -y*0.2
            translate z*3
        }
}
-----------------------------
My specific wood species has additional radial xylem rays which are moving from
the center of the cylinder to the boundary bark. With their ellipsoid cross
section they have a wonderful appearance after cutting like:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Buche_Holz_1.jpg&filetimestamp=20050814172227

My Question: Do anyone know how to generate those additional radial rays in the
wood texture?

The wood texture is defined as:
-----------------------------
#declare T_Wood10 =
    texture {  pigment{ P_WoodGrain10A color_map { M_Wood10A }}}
    texture {  pigment{ P_WoodGrain10B color_map { M_Wood10B }}}
-----------------------------
with:
-----------------------------
#declare P_WoodGrain10A =
pigment {
    wood
    turbulence 0.02
 //   turbulence 0.5
    octaves 4
    lambda 3
    scale 0.175
    //scale <0.3,0.175,0.175>
    rotate <2, 2, 0>
}
#declare P_WoodGrain10B =
pigment {
    wood
    turbulence 0.02
    octaves 4
    lambda 2.8
    scale 0.2
    //scale <0.3,0.2,0.2>
    rotate <2, 2, 0>
    translate <0.0175, 0.0175, 0.0175>
}
-----------------------------

For your help many thanks in advance

hearing

Post a reply to this message

> i am looking for a specific kind of wood texture.
> In general the wood textures given in "woods.inc" have a cylindrical shape with
> different modifications. For my application i find a combination, which is quite
> near with this short example:
> -----------------------------
> #include "woods.inc"
>
> background { color rgb<1, 1, 1>  }
> camera { location<1.1, 1.4, -1.1>  look_at<0.0, 0.0, 0.0>  }
> light_source {<6.0, 8.0, -8.0>  color rgb<1.0, 1.0, 1.0>  }
>
> box {
>    <-0.35, -0.35, -0.35>
>    <  0.35,  0.35,  0.35>
>      texture {
>              T_Wood10
>              finish { specular 0.35 roughness 0.05 ambient 0.3 }
>              rotate<-0, 90, 0>
>              translate -y*0.2
>              translate z*3
>          }
> }
> -----------------------------
> My specific wood species has additional radial xylem rays which are moving from
> the center of the cylinder to the boundary bark. With their ellipsoid cross
> section they have a wonderful appearance after cutting like:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Buche_Holz_1.jpg&filetimestamp=20050814172227

> My Question: Do anyone know how to generate those additional radial rays in the
> wood texture?
>
> The wood texture is defined as:
> -----------------------------
> #declare T_Wood10 =
>      texture {  pigment{ P_WoodGrain10A color_map { M_Wood10A }}}
>      texture {  pigment{ P_WoodGrain10B color_map { M_Wood10B }}}
> -----------------------------
> with:
> -----------------------------
> #declare P_WoodGrain10A =
> pigment {
>      wood
>      turbulence 0.02
>   //   turbulence 0.5
>      octaves 4
>      lambda 3
>      scale 0.175
>      //scale<0.3,0.175,0.175>
>      rotate<2, 2, 0>
> }
> #declare P_WoodGrain10B =
> pigment {
>      wood
>      turbulence 0.02
>      octaves 4
>      lambda 2.8
>      scale 0.2
>      //scale<0.3,0.2,0.2>
>      rotate<2, 2, 0>
>      translate<0.0175, 0.0175, 0.0175>
> }
> -----------------------------
>
> For your help many thanks in advance
>
> hearing

You can add another layer.
For the added layer, you can use a bozo or leopard pattern unevenly
scalled. That pattern will be mostly transparent with some darker
filtering areas.
leopard will give a more regular pattern, while bozo have a random look.
Additionaly, you can apply a cylindrical warp to that layer.

You can also experiment with some other patterns.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> For the added layer, you can use a bozo or leopard pattern unevenly
> scalled. That pattern will be mostly transparent with some darker
> filtering areas.
> leopard will give a more regular pattern, while bozo have a random look.
> Additionaly, you can apply a cylindrical warp to that layer.
>
> You can also experiment with some other patterns.
>

> Alain

Thanks a lot,

i tried already, but bozo and leopard are defined to appear in every direction
similar. I am looking for a "bozo" like layer that only appear in one direction.
In my case, the radial direction. Any suggestions?

hearing

Post a reply to this message

> i tried already, but bozo and leopard are defined to appear in every direction
> similar. I am looking for a "bozo" like layer that only appear in one direction.
> In my case, the radial direction. Any suggestions?

Would scaling by lots in the direction you don't want the pattern help?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > i tried already, but bozo and leopard are defined to appear in every direction
> > similar. I am looking for a "bozo" like layer that only appear in one direction.
> > In my case, the radial direction. Any suggestions?
> >

> Would scaling by lots in the direction you don't want the pattern help?
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

This works for the directions. Thanks.
But i have still the problem of to few "radial rays" by using leopard and the
color seems always to be more light than the wood structure??

example:
----------------------------
#include "woods.inc"

background { color rgb <1, 1, 1> }
camera { location <1.1, 1.4, -1.1> look_at <0.0, 0.0, 0.0> }
light_source { <6.0, 8.0, -8.0> color rgb <1.0, 1.0, 1.0> }

box {
  <-0.35, -0.35, -0.35>
  < 0.35,  0.35,  0.35>
    texture {
            T_Wood10
            finish { specular 0.35 roughness 0.05 ambient 0.3 }
            rotate <-0, 90, 0>
            translate -y*0.2
            translate z*3
            pigment {