POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields to isosurfaces? (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Heightfields to isosurfaces?
Date: 8 Dec 2008 19:27:56
Message: <493dbb8c$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Since my childhood days in the 1970s I'm fascinated with maps,
especially physical and topographic maps, and I early started designing
fictitious continents and whole planets by drawing such maps. So when it
comes to creating terrain with PoV-Ray, I also favor such a
"cartographic" approach using contour line maps to be converted to
heightfields rather than intuitive mesh modeling or fully procedural
isosurfaces (which give only little control over topography).

Interpolating missing height levels manually from scanned contour lines
is cumbersome, but nowadays there is at least one program to do this
work - BlackArt (http://www.terrainmap.com/downloads/blackart.zip).
What bothers me more is that when viewed at close range, all
heightfields inevitably look "blocky", so I ask myself whether it is
possible to convert the height value matrix of a heightfield by
"cross-approximating" each row and column into a discrete 3D function
like it is used with isosurfaces...

Does anyone here know about such POV macros/external programs to do this
job?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> High!
>
> Since my childhood days in the 1970s I'm fascinated with maps,
> especially physical and topographic maps, and I early started designing
> fictitious continents and whole planets by drawing such maps. So when it
> comes to creating terrain with PoV-Ray, I also favor such a
> "cartographic" approach using contour line maps to be converted to
> heightfields rather than intuitive mesh modeling or fully procedural
> isosurfaces (which give only little control over topography).
>
> Interpolating missing height levels manually from scanned contour lines
> is cumbersome, but nowadays there is at least one program to do this
> work - BlackArt (http://www.terrainmap.com/downloads/blackart.zip).
> What bothers me more is that when viewed at close range, all
> heightfields inevitably look "blocky", so I ask myself whether it is
> possible to convert the height value matrix of a heightfield by
> "cross-approximating" each row and column into a discrete 3D function
> like it is used with isosurfaces...
>
> Does anyone here know about such POV macros/external programs to do this
> job?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

Have you tried using the "smooth" statement in heightfields?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
> Have you tried using the "smooth" statement in heightfields?

That is not enough. In the end, blocks remain visible when viewing from very
near. I know of no external solution to this. When really necessary, I try
to make the height_field map as large as I can.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message