POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? : Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 9 Dec 2008 06:29:51
Message: <OeRVRUI8YlPJFw2A@econym.demon.co.uk>

>Does anyone here know about such POV macros/external programs to do
>this job?

I suspect that isosurface spline functions might possibly do the job.

The basic strategy would be for a grid to be laid over the heightfield,
and for the edges of each square to be sampled to produce four splines.
Each square patch could then be rendered like the third entry on this
page:
   http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/more.htm
except that that only takes the data from two of the edges.

What would be really nice would be to describe the contours as splines
and write an isosurface that interpolates between the spline functions,
but I imagine that would be rather difficult, and wouldn't be anywhere
near as sophisticated as the algorithm used by BlackArt.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure