POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? : Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:02 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields to isosurfaces?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 8 Dec 2008 19:27:56
Message: <493dbb8c$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Since my childhood days in the 1970s I'm fascinated with maps,
especially physical and topographic maps, and I early started designing
fictitious continents and whole planets by drawing such maps. So when it
comes to creating terrain with PoV-Ray, I also favor such a
"cartographic" approach using contour line maps to be converted to
heightfields rather than intuitive mesh modeling or fully procedural
isosurfaces (which give only little control over topography).

Interpolating missing height levels manually from scanned contour lines
is cumbersome, but nowadays there is at least one program to do this
work - BlackArt (http://www.terrainmap.com/downloads/blackart.zip).
What bothers me more is that when viewed at close range, all
heightfields inevitably look "blocky", so I ask myself whether it is
possible to convert the height value matrix of a heightfield by
"cross-approximating" each row and column into a discrete 3D function
like it is used with isosurfaces...

Does anyone here know about such POV macros/external programs to do this
job?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar