POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Carl
Subject: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output
Date: 6 Dec 2008 15:25:00
Message: <web.493ade43cd7e8a76789948e10@news.povray.org>
Hello,

   About 10 years ago I wrote a poloyomino solver in Quick Basic 4.5.  It used
simple backtracking and simple graphical output and looked like a very watered
down version of this:

http://math.hws.edu/xJava/Pentominos_old/

   I no longer have my original QB45 code and I find myself needing to create
that program again.  However the only real programing I've done in the last 10
years as been with POV-Ray.  Vista won't even let QB45 go to full screen mode
so using it I now can only get text output and if I go to the work to recreate
my program I would like for it to atleast look pretty.  Can POV-Ray create real
simple 2D grapical output like QB45 to show the status of the board in real time
much as the Java applet does on the above link.  I don't need ray-traced
graphics for that but I do need a programing language I know and QB45 and
POV-Ray are pretty much it at the moment.  I taught myself POV-Ray so I could
also learn something new if need be and if that is the direction I should go
can anyone recommend a free language similiar to POV-Ray or simple basic.  I
took a peek at downloading the free version of visial basic and it was totally
unrecognizable to me.  It looked like point and click programming and I'm use
to typing if/then statements and creating for/next loops.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Carl

Post a reply to this message