POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output : Re: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output
From: SharkD
Date: 6 Dec 2008 18:40:00
Message: <web.493b0d2fd17c5e397126680@news.povray.org>
"Carl" <car### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    About 10 years ago I wrote a poloyomino solver in Quick Basic 4.5.  It used
> simple backtracking and simple graphical output and looked like a very watered
> down version of this:
>
> http://math.hws.edu/xJava/Pentominos_old/
>
>    I no longer have my original QB45 code and I find myself needing to create
> that program again.  However the only real programing I've done in the last 10
> years as been with POV-Ray.  Vista won't even let QB45 go to full screen mode
> so using it I now can only get text output and if I go to the work to recreate
> my program I would like for it to atleast look pretty.  Can POV-Ray create real
> simple 2D grapical output like QB45 to show the status of the board in real time
> much as the Java applet does on the above link.  I don't need ray-traced
> graphics for that but I do need a programing language I know and QB45 and
> POV-Ray are pretty much it at the moment.  I taught myself POV-Ray so I could
> also learn something new if need be and if that is the direction I should go
> can anyone recommend a free language similiar to POV-Ray or simple basic.  I
> took a peek at downloading the free version of visial basic and it was totally
> unrecognizable to me.  It looked like point and click programming and I'm use
> to typing if/then statements and creating for/next loops.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

For something like this you could use JavaScript. It runs on just about every
platform, features loose typing (you don't have to define variables as floats
or integers), doesn't need to be compiled (i.e. the source code is always
visible in case you like sharing your code) and can later be made to run in the
Windows Scripting Host environment if you require read/write access to the file
system.

To be honest, it's the only kind of programming I do, so I may be a bit biased.

:)

-Mike