POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output : Re: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output
From: stbenge
Date: 6 Dec 2008 17:49:05
Message: <493b0161@news.povray.org>
Carl wrote:
> Any ideas?

POV-Ray is not very good at making dynamic programs. For instance, you
can't have a simulation running forever. The best you can do is
precalculate everything and have POV render the result.

Learning C++ really isn't all that difficult. Mastering it is though...
My choice environment for creating C++ programs is Dev-Cpp. There are
graphics libraries you can get for it. You can make graphics with SDL
(Simple DirectMedia Layer) or with the HGE 2D game engine (v1.7 for
DEV-Cpp) if you have DirectX 8.0 or greater installed on your computer.
I like to use HGE, since the graphics are smooth and it's really easy to
pick up and start creating things right away. It's also *really* fast. I
haven't had much luck getting an HGE app to work with Vista, though from
what I hear this is pretty much hit-and-miss. SDL is guaranteed to work,
but will take some extra time to get it all set up.

Alternatively, you may try Euphoria which is an even simpler programming
language. Its big selling points are the dynamic arrays and the fact
that it's a very fast interpreted language. There are graphics libraries
for DOS, and some others for Windows. Being on Vista though, I don't
think you'll have much luck getting the DOS graphics libraries to work.

For whatever it's worth, I learned these programming languages in this
order: QBasic>POV-Ray>Euphoria>C++.

Dev-Cpp: http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
SDL: http://devpaks.org/category.php?category=SDL (CRM32Pro or just SDL)
HGE: http://devpaks.org/category.php?category=SDL

Euphoria: http://devpaks.org/category.php?category=SDL

I recommend learning C++. It can be a very rewarding experience, and the
speed you get is well worth it. If you get stuck with SDL, it's no big
thing since it's fast at blitting at drawing pixels. If you want to make
cellular automation sims, remember: C++ + SDL + arrays = good times :)

Sam