POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output : Re: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray question regarding simple graphical output
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 6 Dec 2008 20:19:01
Message: <493b2485$1@news.povray.org>
Carl wrote:
>    About 10 years ago I wrote a poloyomino solver in Quick Basic 4.5.  It used
> simple backtracking and simple graphical output and looked like a very watered
> down version of this:
>
> http://math.hws.edu/xJava/Pentominos_old/
>
>    I no longer have my original QB45 code and I find myself needing to create
> that program again.

About 20+ years ago I wrote one in C, which I periodically rewrote every
5 years or so as my programming skills improved.  Eventually I did it in
C++ as well.  (Although these were specifically pentomino programs, not
generic polyomino solvers.)  HOWEVER, these were all DOS-based programs
using the text-mode screen, but with colored block characters.  I never
did succeed in doing a real graphical version.  In addition, they used
some direct-to-text-screen-writing routines that I also wrote myself.
Besides displaying the results, it saved the solutions in text files as
well.

I probably still have these sources floating around here someplace, but
I don't know if I could find them -- I'm VERY disorganized here.    :-(

>                    However the only real programing I've done in the last 10
> years as been with POV-Ray.

Personally, I would hesitate to call this a programming language.  It's
programming-like, but too special purpose to think of it as a "real" PL.
  My opinion only, of course.  But yes, it does look rather like C.

>                              Vista won't even let QB45 go to full screen mode
> so using it I now can only get text output and if I go to the work to recreate
> my program I would like for it to atleast look pretty.

If you want to learn a "real" programming language, one that is often
recommended as a first language is Python.  It's a beginner's language
in that it's quite easy to learn, but it's a VERY effective and useful
language (with graphics libraries as well).  It's much more versatile
than any version of BASIC.  You might find this link an interesting
read:  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
And Python is open-source and available free for Windows, Linux and the
Mac.  Of course, this has nothing to do with your polyomino question...

> Thanks,
> Carl

      -=- Larry -=-