POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Aircraft Animation Request for Help Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Aircraft Animation Request for Help (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Bridgeofstraws
Subject: Aircraft Animation Request for Help
Date: 10 Nov 2008 19:55:01
Message: <web.4918d772433c235f26ba04860@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I have been working on a jet fighter model for over 6 months now and I have come
to the point where it is worthy to be animated.  The only thing is, I have no
idea where the rotation point of the plane should be.  Let me elaborate.  From
my understanding, an airplane may rotate along the yaw axis (the rotation the
rudder controls), the roll axis (which is controlled by the ailerons), and last
the pitch axis (controlled by the elevators).  In most diagrams I've seen these
three axis of rotation meet at a single point and this is the point I don't
know how to find.  My only guess is that it would be the centroid.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Bridgeofstraws

Post a reply to this message

> I have been working on a jet fighter model for over 6 months now and I have come
> to the point where it is worthy to be animated.  The only thing is, I have no
> idea where the rotation point of the plane should be.  Let me elaborate.  From
> my understanding, an airplane may rotate along the yaw axis (the rotation the
> rudder controls), the roll axis (which is controlled by the ailerons), and last
> the pitch axis (controlled by the elevators).  In most diagrams I've seen these
> three axis of rotation meet at a single point and this is the point I don't
> know how to find.  My only guess is that it would be the centroid.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Bridgeofstraws

It should be the center of mass.  However, there's no obvious way to find the center
of mass unless you know the mass density of each element of the aircraft.

For each element of the aircraft, of center of mass position r_i, and unit mass m_i,
you can calculate the net center of mass r-com:

r-com = sum_i { r_i m_i } / sum_i { m_i }

where r-com and each r_i are spatial vectors with x, y, and z components.

Dan

Post a reply to this message

I've made a probably a much simpler jet model than yours.
  And I put the center point just a little toward the tail from the
midpoint of the front and back of the main wing and in the middle of
the thinkness of the wing.
Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

> I have been working on a jet fighter model for over 6 months now and I
> have come
> to the point where it is worthy to be animated.  The only thing is, I have
> no
> idea where the rotation point of the plane should be.  Let me elaborate.
> From
> my understanding, an airplane may rotate along the yaw axis (the rotation
> the
> rudder controls), the roll axis (which is controlled by the ailerons), and
> last
> the pitch axis (controlled by the elevators).  In most diagrams I've seen
> these
> three axis of rotation meet at a single point and this is the point I
> don't
> know how to find.  My only guess is that it would be the centroid.  Any
> help
> would be greatly appreciated.

Use the centre of mass, as it will make the calculation of rotations easier
when forces are applied to the control surfaces on the plane.  But really
you can use any point because there is no such thing as a fixed "rotation
centre" in real life - eg while doing a loop the rotation centre is at the
centre of the loop, while flying across the atlantic it is at the centre of
the Earth etc.

I would imagine that for a jet fighter the centre of mass will be about 1/3
of the way from the main landing gear towards the front landing gear,
judging by the beefyness of the wheels :-)

Post a reply to this message

> I would imagine that for a jet fighter the centre of mass will be about
> 1/3 of the way from the main landing gear towards the front landing
> gear, judging by the beefyness of the wheels :-)

On a bicycle, the center of mass is approximately 40-45% of the distance from the rear
tire patch to the front tire patch.  Since the first airplane is commonly attributed
to bicycle builders, I'd say a plane is probably similar.

Dan

Post a reply to this message

>> I would imagine that for a jet fighter the centre of mass will be
>> about 1/3 of the way from the main landing gear towards the front
>> landing gear, judging by the beefyness of the wheels :-)
>>

> On a bicycle, the center of mass is approximately 40-45% of the distance
> from the rear tire patch to the front tire patch.  Since the first
> airplane is commonly attributed to bicycle builders, I'd say a plane is
> probably similar.
>

> Dan

A more serious analysis may be considered by consulting a reference such as the
following:

<http://books.google.com/books?id=RDZUG--o9HMC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&source=bl&ots=H1uZSIsNVR&sig=zJKCWYYoT4TYBGJ6Wyay8hJgANg&hl=en&sa=X&ct=result#PPA10,M1>

There's a nice figure on page 10 which shows the center-of-mass approximately between
the wings, within the fuselage.

Dan

Post a reply to this message