POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting problem at extreme distances Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Lighting problem at extreme distances (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Rarius
Subject: Re: Lighting problem at extreme distances
Date: 25 Mar 2008 08:11:00
Message: <47e8f9e4@news.povray.org>
I do astronomical renders all the time (well I am an astronomy lecturer!)...
I simply choose a better base unit... Megametres, Gigametres or even AUs
instead of kilometres.

1 AU = 149597870.691km
        = 149597.870691Mm
        = 149.597870691Gm

Even Sedna's orbit is now only 75-975 AU or 11219.7-145857Gm... The only
slight problem there is that Sedna is only 0.0015Gm across!

One of these days I'm going to finish my SolarSystem toolkit include file!

Rarius

"Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

>> High!
>>
>> Once more with my long-cherished Solar System project... originally I
>> equalled 1 POV unit = 1 km - which pretty soon turned out to be
>> unfeasible, as the Sun is several times farther even from Mercury than
>> PoV-Ray's epsilon value would allow it to be rendered correctly, let
>> alone the other celestial bodies in the Solar System.
>>
>> So I introduced a scale value, based on the aphelion (furthest point of
>> orbit from the Sun) of trans-Kuiper Belt object Sedna, and adjusted it
>> dynamically to the distance between camera and the Sun (or any other
>> body):
>>

> I hope future versions of Pov-Ray will fix this problem. A lot of Povers
> love doing astronomical stuff =)
>

> --
> -Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message