POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Subdivision? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Subdivision? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Jesse Connell
Subject: Mesh Subdivision?
Date: 14 Aug 2007 12:19:59
Message: <46c1d62f$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm working on visualizing some simulation data with POVRay. Since what
I'm dealing with is a set of 3D finite-element meshes, it looks like the
best method is to convert the surface of my mesh into a POVRay mesh of
smooth triangles and go from there. What I've done is split the
quadrilaterals I have into triangles and compute normal vectors with a
bunch of cross products. This works OK, but it has some problems, such
as the shadow line artifact. Also, I don't see any easy way to
distribute a range of colors on the surface of the mesh to represent a
variable (ie, pressure or velocity magnitude).

What (I think) I'd like to do is split the elements of my mesh into many
more elements and smooth it out. I've found a few sets of macros and
things for doing this, like the "New Surface Subdivision Suite" (
http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm ) and "POV-Ray with
Subdivision". They all seem to be unmaintained, though, or at least very
out of date. Does anyone here have a preferred way of smoothing /
subdividing meshes? Also, is there any experience out there in general
with using POVRay with finite element analysis data? I know that's not
at all what it's designed for, but I think it could be very useful for
generating images for presentations/posters/etc. Thanks,

Jesse

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone here have a preferred way of smoothing /
> subdividing meshes?

Yes, I use the aforementioned "POV-Ray with Subdivision" It's good for
many things, though it suffers from strange artifacts sometimes. I
mention it because I hope more people will start using it, and then
maybe it will be supported in the new version of POV.

~Sam

Post a reply to this message

> I'm working on visualizing some simulation data with POVRay. Since what
> I'm dealing with is a set of 3D finite-element meshes, it looks like the
> best method is to convert the surface of my mesh into a POVRay mesh of
> smooth triangles and go from there. What I've done is split the
> quadrilaterals I have into triangles and compute normal vectors with a
> bunch of cross products. This works OK, but it has some problems, such
> as the shadow line artifact. Also, I don't see any easy way to
> distribute a range of colors on the surface of the mesh to represent a
> variable (ie, pressure or velocity magnitude).
>
> What (I think) I'd like to do is split the elements of my mesh into many
> more elements and smooth it out. I've found a few sets of macros and
> things for doing this, like the "New Surface Subdivision Suite" (
> http://www.geocities.com/evilsnack/nsss.htm ) and "POV-Ray with
> Subdivision". They all seem to be unmaintained, though, or at least very
> out of date. Does anyone here have a preferred way of smoothing /
> subdividing meshes? Also, is there any experience out there in general
> with using POVRay with finite element analysis data? I know that's not
> at all what it's designed for, but I think it could be very useful for
> generating images for presentations/posters/etc. Thanks,
>
> Jesse

PoseRay can subdivide meshes and export them to POV code. Load a mesh
and in the groups tab select subdivision and then press update. There
are several options you can play with for different results.

http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

good luck,

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message