POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [bug] Very slow rendering Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  [bug] Very slow rendering (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Nicolas Calimet
Subject: Re: [bug] Very slow rendering
Date: 29 Jan 2007 16:55:11
Message: <45be6d3f@news.povray.org>
> I don't think that
> philosophy will lead to improvements.

	And it's clear that your own philosophy definitely will  :-/

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 29 Jan 2007 17:04:42
Message: <45be6f7a@news.povray.org>
William Peska wrote:

> Well, you are free to state that there are no bugs in any software -
> the perceived malfunctions are simply side effects... . I don't think
> that philosophy will lead to improvements.

Anyhow reading the license agreement might be in order:
http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html

I think the disclaimer of warranty is specially relevant in your case:

> This Software is provided on an "AS IS" basis, without warranty of
> any kind, express or implied, including without limitation, any
> implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular
> purpose and non-infringement of intellectual property of any third
> party. This Software has inherent limitations including design faults
> and programming bugs. The entire risk as to the quality and
> performance of the Software is borne by you, and it is your
> responsibility to ensure that it does what you require it to do prior
> to using it for any purpose (other than testing it), and prior to
> distributing it in any fashion. Should the Software prove defective,
> you agree that you alone assume the entire cost resulting in any way
> from such defect.
>
> This disclaimer of warranty constitutes an essential and material
> term of this agreement. If you do not or cannot accept this, or if it
> is unenforceable in your jurisdiction, then you may not use the
> Software in any manner.

I will not paraphrase but if I understand correctly, judging from what
I've read from you, it seems to me that you are not even allowed to use
POV-Ray ;-)

As to improvements, they will come from people working in their own time
if they feel that their work is appreciated. I wouldn't think that your
comments are seen this way...

It's a shame because the problems you raised are still interesting
effects, you could have learned a lot from the workarounds, and finally
even get someone sufficiently interested to work on the source and see
if they can be avoided. Dismissing anyone willing to help, and demanding
that the software be modified to suit your scene, is just causing the
opposite effect.

I'd humbly suggest you try commercial software and see what you get for
your money,

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message