POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh conversion problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh conversion problem (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Bryan Heit
Subject: Mesh conversion problem
Date: 9 Jun 2006 17:10:57
Message: <4489e3e1$1@news.povray.org>
I am trying to convert a 3D Studio Max mesh (a cargo ship) into a
povray-compatible mesh.  I have tried multiple tools for this including
blender, poseray and a variety of on-line conversion tools.  But all of
these tools don't load the ship properly - the decks, hull and rudder
are not in the proper place - the hull is below and forward of the
decks, the rudder is positioned far behind the ship.

I've also tried "fixing" the mesh in blender with no luck.  But the
really weird thing is that the mesh loads fine and looks fine when I use
a demo of 3D Studio Max or nugraf the model looks fine.  Unfortunately,
these demo's are crippled as to not export a usable model.

BTW, this is the model I'm trying to convert.  Any help is appreciated:
http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=820

Bryan

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to convert a 3D Studio Max mesh (a cargo ship) into a
> povray-compatible mesh.  I have tried multiple tools for this including
> blender, poseray and a variety of on-line conversion tools.  But all of
> these tools don't load the ship properly - the decks, hull and rudder
> are not in the proper place - the hull is below and forward of the
> decks, the rudder is positioned far behind the ship.

> BTW, this is the model I'm trying to convert.  Any help is appreciated:
> http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=820
>
> Bryan

I see there is a 3ds version on that site as well. You'll probably have
better luck with that.  I haven't found a good .max converter.

RG

Post a reply to this message

I've some experience in translating meshes.
Send it to me and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Norbert Kern

Post a reply to this message

>> I am trying to convert a 3D Studio Max mesh (a cargo ship) into a
>> povray-compatible mesh.  I have tried multiple tools for this
>> including blender, poseray and a variety of on-line conversion tools.
>> But all of these tools don't load the ship properly - the decks, hull
>> and rudder are not in the proper place - the hull is below and forward
>> of the decks, the rudder is positioned far behind the ship.
>

>> BTW, this is the model I'm trying to convert.  Any help is appreciated:
>> http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=820
>>
>> Bryan
>

> I see there is a 3ds version on that site as well. You'll probably have
> better luck with that.  I haven't found a good .max converter.
>
> RG

I've tried both, the .max is completely unconvertable, and the .3ds is
the one with the errors.

Bryan

Post a reply to this message