POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Broadcase quality? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Broadcase quality? (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Answer
Date: 16 May 2006 11:20:01
Message: <web.4469ed71ff9c6271c6b359800@news.povray.org>
"Sven Littkowski" <sve### [at] jamaica-focuscom> wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> honestly, I don't knew that there are newsreaders out there which lack the
> proper understanding of given structures.
>
> I personally appreciate individual headlines as those give a first glimpse
> of an idea, what about the content of that posting is going to be. I found
> the boring and non-indicating repeating of the first headline as not very
> helpful. However, as I recognize that there are some weak or incomplete
> programs out there which cause frustration for some users, I am - of
> course - keeping from now the given headlines. Promise.
>
> Sven

Sven,
 It is not just newsreaders. If you have to use the web view the Message

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: Re: Broadcast quality?
Date: 16 May 2006 14:15:48
Message: <446a16d4@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Viljoen polard.com>" <spamnot@<removethis> wrote in message
> > Personaly, I would go for a resolution around 3 to 5 times the TV
> > resolution's.
>
> Which, for an ordinary non-HD set is what? 460x200? I know it is very
low,
> compared to PC monitors, but how low?

:)
it's not that low :)
PAL-resolution (which is what we use here in Europe) is 720x567
(although the number of collumns isn't really defined, only the number
of lines)
NTSC, the American standard, has a lower resolution, but more fps (30
instead of 25, which is useless imho, since movies are shot at 24fps)

(both are interlaced, so you actually get 50 or 60 fps, which 'happens'
to be the same as the AC-frequency :))

cu!
--
#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*C/50#end#macro _(b,e,k,l)#local C=0;#while(C<50)
sphere{G(b,e)+3*z.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1;

Post a reply to this message

>>> Personaly, I would go for a resolution around 3 to 5 times the TV
>>> resolution's.
>> Which, for an ordinary non-HD set is what? 460x200? I know it is very low,
>> compared to PC monitors, but how low?
>
> :)
> it's not that low :)
> PAL-resolution (which is what we use here in Europe) is 720x567 (although the number
of collumns isn't really defined, only the number of lines)
> NTSC, the American standard, has a lower resolution, but more fps (30 instead of 25,
which is useless imho, since movies are shot at 24fps)

	A small typo here: PAL is 720x576. NTSC is 720x480 which translates
to the same pixel rate given the difference in fps. You should note
however that TV pixels are not square and that the screen aspect
ratio is 4/3 for both PAL and NTSC even though neither 720/576 nor
720/480 is 4/3. Moreover, digital MPEG2 broadcasting often uses
fewer than 720 pixels in width and lets the set top box do the scaling.

> (both are interlaced, so you actually get 50 or 60 fps, which 'happens' to be the
same as the AC-frequency :))

	A note on frame rates:

 - The film industry originally used 12 fps because at the time
cameras were operated by a man turning a handle and 12 turns per
second was an easy rate to maintain. When they moved to mechanical
cameras, they chose 24 fps since it would be easy to convert old
film for projection in "modern" theaters. Note however that this is
still too slow and that the eye will see the scene flicker in
certain circumstances;

 - TV originally chose 50fps in Europe and 60fps in the US and Japan
because that was equal to the AC frequency. There was some
bleedthrough from the power supply to the TV signal in old receivers
that caused some parts of the screen to be darker than others. With
a frame rate equal to the AC frequency, those dark bands were
immobile which made them nearly invisible. However, if the frame
rate and the AC frequency were different, the dark bands would move
vertically and the movement would make them visible. Film frame rate
was ignored since the only way to broadcast a film on TV at the time
was to project it in a theater and film it with a TV camera and
broadcast immediately (there was no way to record TV signals in the
beginning).

		Jerome

- --
+------------------------- Jerome M. BERGER ---------------------+
|    mailto:jeb### [at] freefr      | ICQ:    238062172            |
|    http://jeberger.free.fr/     | Jabber: jeb### [at] jabberfr   |
+---------------------------------+------------------------------+

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 16 May 2006 16:29:35
Message: <446a362f@news.povray.org>
All sizes as seen already inside my answer for this posting. Here again
(copied from my previous answer here):

Hi Stefan,

usually, the traditional TV standards (NTSC, SECAM and PAL) feature low
screen resolutions between 720H480V to 720H576V (horizontal/vertical)
pixels. That means, your pictures don't need to be much bigger, unless they
want to have a full-detailed camera move above it. If it is a plain display
of your image, these screen resolutions should be okay.

But in any case, I suggest that you start a brief communication with them,
as well. Whatever rules do exist in theory, the praxis of life can look
quite different.

Here are some useful links:
http://www.mtxindia.com/An1.htm
http://kropla.com/tv.htm
http://www.digitalfernsehen.de/specials/df_12735.html (don't care for the
language, just take the numbers of pixels, very easy)

Greetings,

Sven

Post a reply to this message

From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 17 May 2006 02:27:30
Message: <446ac252@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski spake:

> All sizes as seen already inside my answer for this posting. Here again
> (copied from my previous answer here):
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> usually, the traditional TV standards (NTSC, SECAM and PAL) feature low
> screen resolutions between 720H480V to 720H576V (horizontal/vertical)

Thanks guys!

I'm trying to angle in on getting them to mention PovRay somewhere in the
program. Unlikely, since it will be some form of historical documentary
about the library of Alexandria (of which I made a scene, which the post
was about.)

Maybe if I ask nicely they'll at least mention the Pov site url in the
credits. Anybody else know if Pov ever featured anywhere else on TV? In the
UK or elsewhere?

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 May 2006 06:42:23
Message: <446afe0f$1@news.povray.org>

> 	A small typo here: PAL is 720x576. NTSC is 720x480 which translates
> to the same pixel rate given the difference in fps. You should note
> however that TV pixels are not square and that the screen aspect
> ratio is 4/3 for both PAL and NTSC even though neither 720/576 nor
> 720/480 is 4/3.

This is incorrect. Both for PAL as well as for NTSC the aspect ratio is 4:3!
  The pixels are just, as you noted, not square. Thisis the
essentialdifference for digitalformats in use today.

For square pixels, you need an image that is 786x576 pixels (for PAL). This
is the correct resolution to render the image for POV-Ray in as long as the
TV station doesn't give the original poster any more precise instructions.
They will certainly be able to deal with that size.

If he would create an image 720x576,it would be really hard to get it to
look right as POV-Ray does not preview non-square pixels (computer screen
pixels are square these days). Nevertheless, after setting up the image with
768x576 (square) pixels, it would be rather trivial to get non-square
pixels: The final render should be made using the same 4:3 aspect ratio, but
rendering to 720x576 pixels. Of course, all this assumes the TV station
cannot handle 786x576 - it would be rather unusal if they can't.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 17 May 2006 13:12:52
Message: <446b5994@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 May 2006 13:35:46
Message: <446b5ef2@news.povray.org>

> 	Then I suggest you re-read what I said since you then proceeded to
> say the same thing...

Ups, indeed! I responded to the wrong post :-(

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 17 May 2006 13:38:45
Message: <446b5fa5$1@news.povray.org>

200### [at] mekanorimonisticorg...
> > Please
> > Can't you just make a reply to a post so that your post cant be
> > attached to the post it refers to?
> > It would be obvious it is an answer.
> > "Answer" as topic could refer to any original post in a NG.
> The References header serves well enough to identify the original post
> that Sven's post is a reply to. If your newsreader does not show that
> Sven's post is in reply to Stefan's, then I suggest you try a different
> newsreader.

My newsreader (OE6) reads well the structure of the threads.
But I (and I don't think I'm alone) make display only unread posts.
Having a hint of the original topic (even modified) is helpfull in this
case.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 17 May 2006 14:00:29
Message: <446b64bd$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Stefan,

I am also involved in some ancient raytracings,. I am (actually: we - from
the Forum Navis Romana project - are) involved with the reconstruction and
rendering of ancient ships! Stefan, if you would like to link up with me/us,
please let me know.

I am going to e-mail you one of our illustrations of an ancient Roman
warship, if you like (contact me using my e-mail address).

Best greetings "amongst collegues",

Sven