POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : transforming splines Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  transforming splines (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Charles C
Subject: transforming splines
Date: 3 Apr 2006 11:20:01
Message: <web.44313c84e2ecfab7b160ffde0@news.povray.org>
HI, I've got a 2 part question. I think the short answer will be "no" but I
haven't found the answer for sure looking on my own. (not sure if this'd be
better in NewUsers or general):

I was starting on a project where I'll be using splines extensively, and not
for the usual camera paths or prisms etc.  It'd be useful if rotate, scale
and translate could be applied directly to a spline.  Say, for instance you
have a string of Object_A along Spline_A and you want to create a similar
string of Object_B along Spline_B where Spline_B is a mirrored copy of
Spline_A.  Is there a simple way to do this example other than keeping
track of the control points (in an array or whatever)?

Also, since as of v3.6 there's the parse warning message that splines are
"experimental" does anybody know what changes (if any) might be in the
works?

Thanks,

Charles

Post a reply to this message

> HI, I've got a 2 part question. I think the short answer will be "no" but I
> haven't found the answer for sure looking on my own. (not sure if this'd be
> better in NewUsers or general):
>
> I was starting on a project where I'll be using splines extensively, and not
> for the usual camera paths or prisms etc.  It'd be useful if rotate, scale
> and translate could be applied directly to a spline.  Say, for instance you
> have a string of Object_A along Spline_A and you want to create a similar
> string of Object_B along Spline_B where Spline_B is a mirrored copy of
> Spline_A.  Is there a simple way to do this example other than keeping
> track of the control points (in an array or whatever)?

I think you'll have to transform the control points not the spline.  The
transform itself can be predefined, then use vtransform.  It may or may
not advantage you to store the points in an array.

Post a reply to this message

>HI, I've got a 2 part question. I think the short answer will be "no" but I
>haven't found the answer for sure looking on my own. (not sure if this'd be
>better in NewUsers or general):
>
>I was starting on a project where I'll be using splines extensively, and not
>for the usual camera paths or prisms etc.  It'd be useful if rotate, scale
>and translate could be applied directly to a spline.  Say, for instance you
>have a string of Object_A along Spline_A and you want to create a similar
>string of Object_B along Spline_B where Spline_B is a mirrored copy of
>Spline_A.  Is there a simple way to do this example other than keeping
>track of the control points (in an array or whatever)?

Create the string of mirrored Object_B's along Spline_A inside a union
then mirror the whole union. The Object_B's are mirrored twice, so they
come out the right way round, but their positions are only mirrored
once.

You can do the same thing with rotations and other scales. Apply the
inverse transformation to the objects, then apply the required
transformation to the union.

#version 3.6;
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
camera {location  <0,0,-10> look_at <0,1,0> angle 20}
background {rgb 1}
light_source {<0, 30, -30> color rgb 1}

// ----------------------------------------

#declare Spline_A = function {
   spline {
     natural_spline
     0.0,  < 0.5, 0, 0.0>,
     0.25, < 0.2, 0.5, 0.4>,
     0.5,  < 0.2, 0.6, 0.2>,
     0.75, < 0.4, 1.2, 0.4>,
     1.0,  < 0.0, 2,-0.6>
   }
 }
#declare Object_A = union {
  sphere {0,0.1}
  sphere {x*0.1,0.05}
  pigment {rgb x}
}
#declare Object_B = union {
  box {-0.1,0.1}
  sphere {x*0.15,0.05}
  pigment {rgb y}
}

// The normal copy of the spline with Object_A's
#declare i=0;
#while (i<1)
  object {Object_A translate Spline_A(i)}
  #declare i = i+0.04;
#end

// A mirrored copy of the spline with Object_B's
union {
  #declare i=0;
  #while (i<1)
    object {Object_B scale <-1,0,0> translate Spline_A(i)}
    #declare i = i+0.04;
  #end
  scale <-1,0,0>
}